Your Arris Frontier NVG589 router has a firewall that helps protect your local network from any unwanted Internet access. The router's firewall does this by blocking connections both to and from your network. In order to unblock these connections or open the ports for a game or other program to run well you need to make a port forward on the Arris Frontier NVG589 router.
Use this guide to get your ports forwarded on the Arris Frontier NVG589 router. We will take you step by step through the following steps:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the Arris Frontier NVG589 router.
- How to find the port forwarding section of the router.
- How to create a port forward entry.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
Now that you have setup a static IP address for the computer you are forwarding these ports to, let's login to the Arris Frontier NVG589 router.
Your Arris Frontier NVG589 router uses a web interface. This means to use the router interface you need to login using a web browser. It doesn't matter what browser you decide to use, pick one you are comfortable with. Some of the more common options for web browsers include Internet Explorer, Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.
Once you have opened the web browser you need to find the address bar. The address bar is normally at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Arris NVG589 IP Address is: 192.168.1.254
Type this address into the address bar and click the Enter key. The following page should appear:
Enter the username and password for the router and press the OK button.
If you are unable to login to the Arris Frontier NVG589 router, here are a few things you can try:
- First, we strongly recommend trying other Arris username password combinations. If you have a slightly different firmware version then you may also have a different username and password. Here is our list of Default Arris Router Passwords.
- If the first troubleshooting idea did not work, you may of changed the username and/or password in the past. Use our Find Password App to help you figure it out. This password cracker automates the process of guessing thousands of different combinations. Learn all about it on our Router Password Cracker page.
- Finally, if you are still stuck, it may be time to consider a factory reset. When you reset the Arris Frontier NVG589 router, it erases all previously configured settings. Everything goes back to factory defaults. We recommend exhausting your other options first. To learn how to reset the Arris Frontier NVG589 router, read this How to Reset a Router guide.
We now need to find the port forwarding section of the Arris Frontier NVG589 router. To begin we start on the Device Status page.
On this first page, click the black tab at the top labeled Firewall.
You are now on a page like the one you see above. There should be five new choices under the original bar of choices. Pick the option of NAT Gaming.
Almost there... Click the button in the center section of this page labeled Custom Services.
We are now on the right page to make a port forward for your game or program on this router.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Make up a name to put in the Service Name box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward, it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the left Global Port Range box. Then enter the highest number of that range into the right Global Port Range box. If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into the left Global Port Range and the right Global Port Range boxes.
In the Base Host Port box type the port to forward.
Use the Protocol dropdown box to select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding.
Click the Add button when you are all done.
Make sure that after each entry is finished, you click the Add button.
Don't Forget to Test Your Ports
Now that you have finished with the port forwards, you need to check your work. To check if your ports are open we recommend using our Open Port Checker. It is free and part of our Network Utilities. Our Port Checker uses a local application to see if the server is listening on the selected ports. This makes it guaranteed to be accurate. Go ahead and give it a try.
If you are still having trouble getting your port forwarded on the Arris Frontier NVG589 router. Use our Port Forwarding Software. Our port forwarding software includes everything you need to diagnose, troubleshoot, and fix any port forwarding issues you might have.
Don't forget to check out our other guides from gaming to networking. Here at portforward.com we are your computer information source.
For guides written specifically for your router, check out setuprouter.com We have guides for securing your WiFi network, changing your wireless channel, and much more.