This D-Link DSL-2888A router has a firewall that helps protect your home network from unwanted Internet access. The firewall does this by blocking all connections to and from the Internet that have not been authorized. Some games and online programs need additional connections (ports) to run properly. This process of opening ports is called a port forward.
In this guide we will show you how to port forward on the D-Link DSL-2888A router. These steps include:
- How to setup a static IP address on the exact device you want to port forward.
- How to login to the D-Link DSL-2888A router.
- How to find the port forwarding section of the router.
- How and what information to enter in your router to get your ports forwarded.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
TIP: We recommend writing this static IP address down. You will need it a little later in this guide.
Now it is time to login to the D-Link DSL-2888A router. To do this you need to use a web browser because most routers including this one use a web interface to make setting changes to the router.
Go ahead and open up a favorite web browser. Some common options are Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, and Firefox.
Once you have opened up the web browser find the address bar. This is typically at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default D-Link DSL-2888A IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
Once you have entered the router's IP address you can press the Enter key and you should be given a page similar to the one you see below:
If you don't see a box like the one shown above, you need to find out what the IP address was changed to. This can be done by following the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
You ultimately need to see a page asking for a password.
- The Default D-Link DSL-2888A Router Username is: admin
- The Default D-Link DSL-2888A Router Password is: password
This is a common place to get stuck. Here are a few things you can try:
- First, we recommend trying other D-Link usernames and/or passwords. If you have a slightly different firmware version you may also have a different username or password. Here is our list of different Default D-Link Router Passwords.
- If the above did not work, it is because the username and/or password were changed. Try guessing a few times, or use our Password Cracker. It automates the process of guessing for you.
- Finally, if both of the above did not work, it might be time to consider a factory reset. This will erase the username and revert it back to factory settings but it also erases all other settings as well. I do not recommend a factory reset unless you have exhausted all other troubleshooting methods. Here is a page on the basics of How to Reset a Router.
It is now time to find the port forwarding section of the device. To do that we will begin on the Home page:
Click the Features option at the top of the page.
This opens up a new set of options. Click the one labeled Virtual Server.
Now click the blue button near the bottom of the page labeled Add Rule
Congratulations, you have made it to the port forwarding page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Browsing our List of Games
- Check out our our List of Games by Genre
- See our List of all Applications
You need to name this entry in the Name box. The name does not make any difference in the forward; it's just there so that you can remember later why you setup this forward.
You need to enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to in the Local IP box. It's possible for this to be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
The protocol that you want to forward is selected from the Protocol box.
Enter the port to forward into the External Port and the Internal Port boxes.
Pick an available connection from the Interface dropdown box.
Click the Apply button when you are finished.
Test Your Ports
Now that you have finished port forwarding the D-Link DSL-2888A router, you need to test the port forward. To do that we recommend using our Network Utilities. Our network utilities tool includes an Open Port Checker. Our Port Checker uses a local application to check and see if the ports are open, guaranteeing an accurate result.
If you are still struggling with the port forwarding process, use our Port Forward Software. Our software makes owning a router easier than ever. It troubleshoots, diagnoses, and fixes all your port forwarding problems.
At portforward.com we have more than just port forwarding guides. Check them out here.
If you are more interested in setting up a strong wireless network, check out our other site, setuprouter.com.