Open Ports on Your Router for Grand Theft Auto Online
Grand Theft Auto Online includes the following styles of gameplay.
- Adventure games are very heavily story driven. You are usually the main character and are the one who discovers the true plot as the game progresses.
- Action games are fast paced and tend to put the player in the middle of the action, requiring you to jump over obstacles, climb ladders, and shoot things.
- In an open world style of game the player is allowed to roam freely through a normally massive environment. This style of games is usually not on rails, meaning that the player gets to go anywhere and solve problems in the order that they choose.
Forward Ports for Grand Theft Auto Online
When you are playing Grand Theft Auto Online you might need to forward some ports in your router. Forwarding ports is a useful trick in gaming because it can really help to make your network connection most stable and intermittently even faster. Routers were not designed to allow incoming network requests and some games can play tremendously better if an incoming connection is forwarded through the router to the game.
Before You Forward a Port
Before you can forward a port you need to know the following things:
- The IP address of your network router.
- The IP address of the device that the game will play on: either your computer or your console.
- A list of TCP and UDP ports that need to be forwarded.
How to find your router's IP Address
The easiest way to locate your router's IP address is to run our free Router Detector utility. It's a part of the Network Utilities suite of tools and it's completely free to use.
How To Forward Ports
Quickly get your ports forwarded using Network Utilities. Then when you are done you can just as easily close your ports back down to keep your network as secure as possible. You can also do it manually.
The usual process for forwarding a port is:
- Open a web browser and navigate to your router's IP address.
- Find your routers port forwarding section.
- Put the IP address of your computer or gaming console in the appropriate box in your router.
- Put the TCP and UDP ports for your game in the corresponding boxes in your router.
- Frequently you have to reboot your router for the changes to take effect.
Ports To Forward for Grand Theft Auto Online
The ports that need to be forwarded in your router for Grand Theft Auto Online are as follows:
Grand Theft Auto Online - PC
- UDP: 6672,61455-61458
Grand Theft Auto Online - Playstation 3
- TCP: 3478-3480,5223,8080
- UDP: 3074,3478-3479,3658,6672,61455-61458
Grand Theft Auto Online - Playstation 4
- TCP: 1935,3478-3480
- UDP: 3074,3478-3479,6672,61455-61458
Grand Theft Auto Online - Xbox 360
- TCP: 3074
- UDP: 88,3074,6672,61455-61458
Grand Theft Auto Online - Xbox One
- TCP: 3074
- UDP: 88,500,3074,3544,4500,6672,61455-61458
We have guides that are custom tailored for Grand Theft Auto Online that will show you the incoming ports that need to be forwarded.
- Grand Theft Auto Online - PC
- Grand Theft Auto Online - Playstation 3
- Grand Theft Auto Online - Playstation 4
- Grand Theft Auto Online - Xbox 360
- Grand Theft Auto Online - Xbox One
That's all it takes to forward your ports. For more on how to port forward, check out our list of games and applications.