Netgear Orbi RBR50 Router Port Forwarding
In this guide we will be showing you how to port forward on the Netgear Orbi RBR50 router. This router has a firewall that helps to protect your home network from unwanted Internet access. Sometimes you want these connections opened in order to run a game or application more smoothly. This process of opening a port is called a port forward.
We will walk you through each of the following steps in the port forwarding process:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the Netgear Orbi RBR50 router.
- How to navigate to the port forwarding section.
- What to enter in your router to create a port forward.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
- → Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
In this step I will show you how to login to the Netgear Orbi RBR50 router.
Open a web browser. It does not matter which browser you decide to open. Some of the more common options are: Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox.
After opening the browser, find the address bar. It is located at the top of the screen, like this:
Do you see the address bar in the image above? It has 192.168.1.1 in it. All you have to do is enter your router's IP address in this space and press Enter.
If you have ever changed your router's IP address in the past, you need to enter that IP address. (Remember a router's IP address is also called the Default Gateway.)
If you have changed the router's IP address in the past and don't remember what you changed it to, you need to follow the instructions on this page.
By default the Netgear Orbi RBR50 router has an IP address of: 192.168.1.1
Press the Enter key and you are taken to a login page like this:
In this window you need to enter the router's username and password.
- The Default Netgear Orbi RBR50 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Netgear Orbi RBR50 Router Password is: password
Go ahead and press the OK button after you have entered the username and password.
If you find yourself stuck, here are a few things you can try:
- First of all, if you have a different firmware version you could have a different username and password. Why not try other Netgear usernames and passwords. Here is our list of Default Netgear Router Passwords you can try.
- If that did not work, it is probably because you changed the username and password in the past and don't remember. We recommend guessing a few times to see if you can crack your own router password. We have a Find Password App that goes through a list of thousands of different common combinations to see if it can help you crack your password. Learn more about this option on our Router Password Cracker page.
- Finally, if nothing else helps, it might be time for you to consider a factory reset. A factory reset should only be done if you have exhausted other troubleshooting techniques. If you need to consider a reset, check out this How to Reset a Router page.
In this step we will show you how to find the port forwarding section of your router. To do this we begin on the Basic Home page of the Netgear Orbi RBR50 router.
On this page, simply click the option at the top labeled ADVANCED.
Now, look in the left sidebar of this new page. Select the option titled Advanced Setup.
Then under that, click Port Forwarding/Port Triggering.
You should now see a page similar to the one above. In the center section of the page, make sure the radio button labeled Port Forwarding is selected.
Finally, select the link in the center section of the page labeled ADD CUSTOM SERVICE.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Make up a name to put in the Service Name box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward, it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
The protocol that you want to forward is selected from the Protocol box.
Enter the ports to forward into the External port range box.
The ports can be entered as a list 23,24,25, a range 500-600, or a combination of both 23,45,500-600.
Make sure that the Use the same port range for Internal port checkbox is checked.
Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to in the Internal IP address box. You can enter either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another computer or device on your network.
Don't forget to click the blue Apply button when you are finished.
How to Test Your Ports
After you have finished port forwarding you should test them. This is always a good idea. We have an Open Port Checker you can use. It is part of our free trial version of the Network Utilities. This particular port checker uses one of your local applications to listen for the server trying to connect. This way we can confirm that your port is forwarded.
If you have a question we did not answer in this guide, please refer to our forum. There is a wealth of information to find on there. If you don't find an answer please ask, there are a lot of knowledgeable people ready to help you with your port forward.
More guides related to port forwarding can be found here.
If you're looking for more router setup guides check out setuprouter.com.