This guide teaches you how to hard reset a router. Hard resetting a router restores the router to its factory default settings. The most common reason to hard reset a router is to reset the router user name and password.
What to Do If You Forgot Your Router Password and Can't Log In To Your Router
Uh oh, you forgot your router user name and password. Lost passwords and user names are a common problem. Luckily there is a simple solution.
Solution: Reset Router Password to Factory Settings
Performing a hard reset on your router will reset your router to its factory default settings. This means that the router user name and password will be reset to their default settings also. After hard resetting your router you should be able to log in using the default user name and password for your router.
Wait! Before hard resetting your router, we suggest that you try a few troubleshooting steps that might get you logged in. Follow these three steps to troubleshoot.
- Check Router IP Address
- Try Logging In Using the Default UserName and Password
- Hard Reset the Router
How to Hard Reset a Router
On the back or bottom of your router you should find a small pin sized reset button.
- While your router is plugged in, press and hold your router's reset button for 30 seconds. You may have to use a paperclip or pin to press your router's reset button.
- You should notice your router's lights flicker and flash. That is an indication that your hard reset is taking effect.
- After you've held your router's reset button down for 30 full seconds, allow the router to reboot. (Just leave your router alone for a few minutes and allow it to gather itself.)
- Finally, try logging in to your router once more. Remember that you must now use the default user name and password for your router. If you still are having difficulty logging in to your router, go back to TroubleShooting Step #1 and rinse and repeat.
If you were able to log in to your router then congratulations! Thank you for letting portforward.com be of service to you. Check out our selection of free guides. From networking to gaming, portforward.com is your computer information source.