The Synology RT2600ac router has a firewall that helps to keep your home network protected from unwanted Internet access. The firewall does this by blocking all the incoming and outgoing connections from your network unless otherwise specified. In order to open these ports or connections up for a game or other online application you need to create a port forward for that game or program for a specific device on your network.
In this guide we will show you exactly how to do this. We will walk you through each of the following steps:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you are forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the Synology RT2600ac router.
- How to find the port forwarding page of your router interface.
- How to create a port forward entry.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
NOTE: Write this static IP address down on a slip of paper. You need it a little later in step 4.
It is now time to login to the Synology RT2600ac router. To do this:
- Open up a web browser. You are using a web browser right now to read this. Common web browsers include Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox.
- Find the address bar. This is normally at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Synology RT2600ac IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
If the default IP address did not work or you changed the address in the past and don't remember what you changed it to, follow the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page to locate it.
After entering the router's IP address into the address bar, click the Enter key on your keyboard. The following box appears:
Enter the username and password associated with your Synology RT2600ac router and press the blue Sign in button.
- The default username for the Synology RT2600ac router is: admin
- Leave the password space blank for the Synology RT2600ac router
This is a pretty common place to get stuck. Don't panic yet, there are a few things you can try:
- First, try other Synology username and password combinations. If you have a different firmware version you may also have a different username and password. Here is our list of Default Synology Router Passwords
- Second, try to guess what it might be. There is a good chance you changed the username and/or the password and simply forgot. If you need a little extra help, use our Find Password App. It does the guessing for you. If you want to learn more about it, read this Find Password App page.
- Finally, you may need to reset the Synology RT2600ac router. This erases all configurations you have ever changed. This last option you should only use as a last resort. Learn how to reset a router on this How to Reset a Router page.
Now we need to find the port forwarding section of the Synology RT2600ac router. To help you with this we will be starting on the Home page:
- Click the option of Network Center.
- Now look in the left sidebar and click the option of Internet.
- Next, look at the top of the page. Select the option of Port Forwarding.
- A new sub-menu appears below that. Pick the button labeled Create.
You should now see a page like the one above.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Create a name for this forward and put it in the Name box. The name is only used as a reminder and has no effect on the port forward.
Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to into the Private IP Address box. Note that if you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box instead.
Enter the port to forward into the Public Port and the Private Port boxes.
The protocol that you want to forward is selected from the Protocol box.
When you are all done click the Create button.
Test if Your Ports are Open
Time to check if your ports forwarded correctly. We recommend using our FREE Open Port Checker. Our Open Port Checker uses a local application to see if the server is listening on the selected ports.
If you are still having trouble forwarding your port use our Port Forwarding Software. Using our software, port forwarding is easy. We troubleshoot, diagnose, and fix any port forwarding issues you are having.
You can also check out the forum. There is a lot of good information in there.
Don't forget to check out our list of free guides here. We are your computer information source. We have everything from game walk-throughs to networking guides.
If need help setting up your router, check out setuprouter.com