The Asus RT-AC56U router has a firewall that helps to protect your home network from unwanted Internet access. Firewalls block incoming connections that you may want unblocked. This process of opening a port is frequently called a port forward. You can learn more about this topic on this page. Very basically, a port forward forwards your port from the Internet to a device on your network.
Here on this page we will be walking you through each of the steps involved in getting your ports forwarded.
We will show you how to:
- Setup a static IP address on the device or computer you want ports forwarded to.
- Login to your Asus RT-AC56U router.
- Navigate to the port forwarding section.
- Click WAN
- Click Virtual Server / Port Forwarding
- Enter the data to create a Port Forward
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
Login to the Asus RT-AC56U router.
In order to login to this Asus RT-AC56U router you need to first open up a web browser because this router uses a web interface.
It does not matter what web browser you decide to use, there are a lot of different choices. Some common options are:
- Internet Explorer
Open up your web browser and find the address bar. It should look something like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Asus RT-AC56U IP address is set to: 192.168.1.1
After entering the IP address of your router you can simply press the Enter key. If all goes well you should see the following screen asking for a username and password:
Unless you have changed these values go ahead and enter the default username and password for the Asus RT-AC56U router.
- The Default Asus RT-AC56U Router Username is: admin
- The Default Asus RT-AC56U Router Password is: admin
Once you have finished entering the username and password go ahead and click the OK button to login to the router web interface.
This is a common place to get stuck so we've added a few troubleshooting options you can try:
- If you were unable to login to the Asus RT-AC56U router we recommend trying other Default Asus Router Passwords. It is possible different firmware versions have a different username and/or password.
- If you are still locked out of your router it is possible you changed the username and password in the past and have forgotten. We recommend trying to guess your password. To help with this process we have a Find Password App that automates the long process for you. In order to prevent illegal activity The Find Password App is limited to only working on devices on your local area network. It will not work over the internet. Learn more on this Router Password Cracker page.
- Finally, if nothing else works, you may need to consider a reset. This should only be used as a last desperate attempt to access your router. A reset erases everything you have ever changed on the device, possibly even ISP data you may be unaware of. If this is where you are at, then learn how on this page.
Navigate to the port forwarding section
It is time to find the port forwarding section of the router. To do that let's start on the following page:
First of all, click the WAN option in the left sidebar.
Then, click the Virtual Server/Port Forwarding option at the top of the page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Browsing our List of Games
- Check out our our List of Games by Genre
- See our List of all Applications
Create a name for this forward and put it in the Service Name box. The name is only used as a reminder and has no effect on the port forward.
Enter the port to forward into the Port Range and the Local Port boxes.
Enter the IP address of the device that you want to forward ports to into the Local IP box. This can be either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another device on your network.
Select the required protocol for these ports from the Protocol dropdown box.
Click the Add button when you are finished.
When you are finished, click the Apply button to save your changes.
Test the Ports
After you have finished forwarding ports on the Asus RT-AC56U router it would be a good idea to check them.
In order to check to see if the ports were forwarded correctly, we recommend using our free Open Port Checker. You can find it in our Network Utilities tool. This Open Port Checker is not only free but is guaranteed to work.
Hopefully we helped to get your ports open. We have more guides here:
- What is a Firewall?
- What is an IP Address?
- Here is a list of Common Networking Terms.
- More guides for your Asus RT-AC56U router.