A Linksys EA5800 router contains a basic firewall to help protect your home network. A Firewall blocks incoming connections by nature. Sometimes you need to unblock some of these connections so you can run a game or application. This is called opening a port or port forwarding. Port forwarding is literally forwarding a port from the internet to your home network.
To open ports in your Linksys EA5800 router, follow the steps below:
- On the computer or device that you are forwarding ports to, you will need to set up a static IP address.
- Log in to your Linksys EA5800 router.
- Navigate to the Port Forwarding section in your Linksys EA5800 router.
- Click on the Applications & Gaming tab, which is at the top of the screen.
- Find the Port Range Forwarding link at the middle of the screen and click it.
- Create a Port Forwarding entry.
If this sounds difficult, you are not alone. We will walk you through each step in opening a port for the Linksys EA5800 router.
Step 1 - Setup A Static IP Address
Set up a static IP address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This is an important step that keeps your ports open even after a reboot, power outage, or another type of device or router disconnect.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
â Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Step 2 - Login To Your Linksys Router
In order to login to the Linksys EA5800 router you need to use a web browser. The Linksys EA5800 router uses what is called a web interface where you can access and control router settings.
Go ahead and open up your favorite web browser. If you don't have a favorite or are not sure what this means, open up Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.
If this step is confusing, we have simplified it for you with this link: Login to your EA5800 Router
Find the address bar once you have opened up a web browser. This is usually located at the top of the page, like in the image below.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The Linksys EA5800 router's default IP address is: 192.168.1.1
After typing your router's IP address into the address bar, make sure to click the enter button on your keyboard. You should see a box similar to the one shown below.
To login, enter the username and password for the Linksys EA5800s. Important Note: If you have changed them in the past, you need to enter in those values.
- The default Linksys EA5800 Router Username is: blank
- The default Linksys EA5800 Router Password is: admin
Once you enter your username and password, click the Login button.
Linksys Username and Password Trouble
If the username and password that you typed in did not work, check out our Default Linksys Router Passwords page for other ideas about possible passwords.
If, after trying the above list of passwords you still can't log in, you may need to reset your router. Learn how to do that by reading our How to Reset a Router guide. After resetting the Linksys EA5800 router your username and password are reverted back to factory defaults. Router settings may also change when you reset, so make a note of your current router settings before you reset.
Step 3 - Find The Port Forwarding Section
After a successful login to the Linksys EA5800 router you should be on the home page of your router. Now you need to find the Port Forwarding section.
- Click the Applications & Gaming tab at the top of the screen.
- Find the Port Range Forwarding link at the middle of the screen and click on it.
You should now be on a page called Port Forwarding.
Step 4 - Create A Port Forward Entry
Opening a port to a specific device may solve problems that you are having on your network. Make sure that it is necessary though, before opening a port, because you are effectively creating a pinhole in the firewall portion of your router that could lead to malicious traffic on your network. The risk is exceedingly low, though, so don't let this warning stop you from making this change if you need it.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- In the Application Name box, type in a name for this forward. This will serve as a reminder to you in the future as to why this forward was set up, so give it a name that makes sense to you.
- To forward a single port, enter the port number into the Start Port and the End Port boxes. To forward a range of ports, enter the lowest number in the range into the Start Port box. Then enter the highest number in the range into the End Port box.
- Choose Both from the Protocol drop-down list.
- You need to enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to into the To IP Address box. This can be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
- Check Enabled.
- Click the Save Settings button at the bottom of the page when you are completely finished to apply these changes.
Test Your Open Ports
Finally, test your network to see if you have forwarded ports in the Linksys EA5800 router correctly. To do this you can use Network Utilities, which includes a free Open Port Checker tool. Open Port Checker is the only online port-checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
Check Out These Helpful Guides: