How To Port Forward Minecraft
When you setup a Minecraft server in your house it is hidden away from the internet by your router. If you want your friends and family to be able to connect to your Minecraft world from the outside then you need to setup a port forward in your router in order to allow the incoming connections.
It's easy. We'll show you how.
How to Port Forward Minecraft
When you are playing Minecraft you might need to forward some ports in your router. Forwarding ports is a useful trick in gaming because it can really help to make your network connection most stable and sometimes even faster. Routers were not designed to allow incoming network requests and some games can play tremendously better if an incoming connection is forwarded through the router to the game.
Before You Forward a Port
Before you can forward a port you need to know the following things:
- The IP address of your router.
- Your gaming machine's IP address.
- A list of TCP and UDP ports that need to be forwarded.
How to locate your router's IP Address
The easiest way to locate your router's IP address is to run our free Router Detector utility. It's a part of the Network Utilities suite of tools and it's completely free to use.
How To Forward Ports
Use our Network Utilities for a quick way to get your ports forwarded. Network utilities makes it easy to enable and disable your port forwards to keep your network security as tight as possible. You can also do it by hand by following these steps.
The process for forwarding a port is generally:
- Start by logging in to your router.
- Find your routers port forwarding section.
- Put the IP address of your computer or gaming console in the correct box in your router.
- Put the TCP and UDP ports for your game in the matching boxes in your router.
- Frequently you have to reboot your router for the changes to take effect.
Which Ports Does Minecraft Require
The incoming ports that need to be forwarded for Minecraft are as follows:
Minecraft - Xbox 360
- TCP: 3074
- UDP: 3074
Minecraft - Playstation 3
- TCP: 5223
- UDP: 5223,3478-3479,3658
Minecraft - Xbox One
- TCP: 3074
- UDP: 88,500,3074,3544,4500
Minecraft - Playstation 4
- TCP: 1935,3478-3480
- UDP: 3074,3478-3479
Minecraft - PC
- TCP: 19132,25565
- UDP: 19132,25565
We have guides that are custom tailored for Minecraft that will show you the network ports.
- Minecraft - Xbox 360
- Minecraft - Playstation 3
- Minecraft - Xbox One
- Minecraft - Playstation 4
- Minecraft - PC
That should be all you have to do to forward your ports. Check our growing list of games and applications for more port forwarding guides.