Here is a list of the ports that need to be forwarded for rTorrent:
rTorrent - PC
- TCP: 50000
Forward Ports for rTorrent
When you use rTorrent you may need to forward ports in your router. Forwarding ports is used to allow incoming connection requests from the internet to rTorrent.
Routers are not designed to allow incoming network requests. By forwarding a port you can overcome this limitation.
Before You Forward a Port
Make sure that you know these things before forwarding a port:
- The IP address of your router.
- Your download client's IP address.
- The TCP and UDP ports that need to be forwarded.
Find Your Router's IP Address
We have free Router Detector software to help you find your router's IP address. Our Router Detector tool is free to use and is part of our Network Utilities software.
If you do not want to run the software, you can follow our Find Your Router IP Address guide.
How To Forward Ports for rTorrent
A smart way to forward your ports is to use Network Utilities. Our Network Utilities software allows you to add port forwards and also remove them when you no longer need them to maximize your network security.
Port forwarding can also be set up step-by-step by hand. The process for forwarding a port is:
- Start by logging in to your router.
- Look for the port forwarding section in your router.
- Put your download client's IP address in the proper box in your router.
- Put the TCP and UDP ports for rTorrent in the corresponding boxes in your router.
You probably will need to reboot your router for the changes to take effect.
You can choose your router from our list to see exactly how to forward ports for rTorrent:
List of Routers - Customized for rTorrent
That's all it takes to forward your ports for rTorrent.
Use a VPN When you Torrent
Are you using a VPN with your torrent client? If not, you really should be. A VPN solves many of the issues surrounding torrents, including:
- A VPN hides your identity from other torrenters and from your ISP.
- A VPN increases your torrent download speeds by preventing your ISP from throttling your download speeds.
- A VPN allows you to improve your seed ratio by allowing incoming connections to your torrent client.
We use and recommend Private Internet Access because it is fast, secure, and highly reliable.
With Private Internet Access you get full speed access to your torrent downloads because they offer a free port forwarding option that you can point at your torrent download client. For more help see How To Port Forward with Private Internet Access.