Thomson Alcatel TWG-870 routers include a very basic firewall that helps protect your home network from unwanted Intrnet activity. Since this firewall blocks incoming connections you may need to open a port through it for certain games and applications. This process of opening a port is frequently called a port forward, since you are forwarding a port from the Internet to your home network.
I will walk you through each of the four steps of port forwarding These steps are:
- setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- login to the Thomson Alcatel TWG-870 router web interface.
- find the port forwarding page in the router's web interface.
- setup a port forward for the online game or program of your choice.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Another highly recommended way of getting a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP Reservation.
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
With DHCP reservations you can manage your devices from your router. This centralizes the management of your network and helps prevent IP address conflicts. Using this method you do not have to log in to your devices separately.
Write this static IP address down for Step 4
It is now time to login to the Thomson Alcatel TWG-870 router. To do this you need to open up a web browser. I recommend picking the one you are most familiar with such as Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer. It usually doesn't matter which web browser you decide to use.
Once you have opened up your web browser, find the address bar. It should look something like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Thomson Alcatel TWG-870 IP Address is: 192.168.0.1
After entering the IP address of your router you can simply press enter. If all goes well you will see the following screen:
You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. If you do not see a login screen, it means your router has a different IP address than the one you used. To find out what the router's IP address is follow the instructions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
- The Default Thomson Alcatel TWG-870 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Thomson Alcatel TWG-870 Router Password is: password
Enter your username and password, and then click the OK button to log in to your Thomson Alcatel TWG-870 router.
This is a pretty common place to get stuck. If you find yourself here, don't panic, there are a few things you can try:
- First, check all the different Thomson Alcatel default combinations. Here is our list of all known Default Thomson Alcatel Router Passwords.
- Second, try and guess what the password/username was changed to. Use our Find Password App to make this step easier.
- Finally, if you still are stuck after trying both of the above options, it may be time to consider a factory reset. Learn more about this option on the How to Reset a Router page.
Now we need to find the port forwarding section in your router. Here's how you do it. Starting from the Status page in your router interface:
On this page, click the Advanced option at the top of the page.
Now look in the left sidebar. Click the option labeled Forwarding.
Congratulations, you have found the port forwarding section of the device interface.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the Local IP Adr box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
If you are only forwarding a single port number then enter that number into both the Start Port and the End Port boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports separated by a hyphen then enter the lowest number of that range into the Start Port box and the highest number of that range into the End Port box.
The protocol that you want to forward is selected from the Protocol box.
Make sure that the Enabled checkbox is checked.
When you're finished, click Apply at the bottom of the screen to save your changes.
Test if Your Ports are Open
Now that you have forwarded ports on the Thomson Alcatel TWG-870 you should test to see if your ports are forwarded correctly.
To test if your port has been properly forwarded, you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Our Open Port Check tool is the only online port checking tool with Guaranteed Results.
Test Your Ports
Are your the ports you just forwarded really open? An easy way to find out is use our free Open Port Checker. It uses a local application to see if the ports are open or not. This guarantees our port checkers accuracy.
Check out our other guides here. We have a growing list of free gaming, networking, and software guides here at portforward.com.
Our other site setuprouter.com can help you setup a secure home network on your Thomson Alcatel TWG-870 router.