Simple TP-Link Archer C59 Router Port Forwarding Instructions
This TP-Link Archer C59 router uses a firewall to help protect your home network from potential threats coming from the Internet. Your firewall does this by blocking all connections that are not specified as safe. Sometimes you have a game or program that doesn't run smoothly without additional connections or ports opened. This process of opening additional ports is called a port forward.
In this guide I will show you exactly how to create a port forward. These steps are:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding the ports to.
- How to login to the TP-Link Archer C59 router.
- How to navigate to the port forwarding section of the router interface.
- And finally, how to create a port forward entry.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
- → Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
After a static IP address was created for the device you are forwarding these ports to, you need to login to the TP-Link Archer C59 router. To do this you need to open a web browser because your router uses a web interface to make setting changes. It should not matter which browser you decide to use. I would recommend picking a favorite. Some common web browsers are: Internet Explorer, Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.
Once you have picked your web browser, open it up and find the address bar. Normally this can be found at the top of the page:
In the image above I have had the address bar circled for you. All you need to do is replace what is currently in that address bar with your router's IP Address. This address can also be called the Default Gateway.
If you have changed the router's IP address in the past and don't remember what you changed it to, then you should follow the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
By default the TP-Link Archer C59 router has an IP address of: 192.168.0.1
Once you have entered the correct IP address into the address bar, click the Enter key. If all goes as it should have you will see a login screen like this:
Go ahead and enter the router's username and password to access the router interface.
- The Default TP-Link Archer C59 Router Username is: admin
- The Default TP-Link Archer C59 Router Password is: password
This is a very common place to get stuck. If you find yourself here there are a few things you can try:
- First, you should try other TP-Link usernames and passwords. It is possible you have a slightly different firmware version that has a different username and password. Here is our list of Default TP-Link Router Passwords.
- If the first option did not work it is because you changed the username and password and forgot what you changed it to. This is extremely common. Why not try guessing what you changed it to. If you need help, use our Find Password App. It does the guessing for you. Learn all about it on our Router Password Cracker page.
- As a last resort you might need to consider a factory reset. A reset like this should only be considered after you have tried these other troubleshooting options. A reset erases all your personal settings. Learn how to reset a router on this How to Reset a Router page.
You are now logged into the router and should see this page:
To find the port forwarding section of the router, first, click the option at the top of the page labeled Advanced.
Once you are on this page, look in the left sidebar and choose the option of NAT Forwarding.
This will open up a sub-menu, choose the option of Virtual Servers.
You are then directed to the page you see above. On this page, click the link in the center section of the page labeled +Add.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Create a name for this forward and put it in the Service Type box. The name is only used as a reminder and has no effect on the port forward.
Enter the same port number to be forwarded into both the External Port and the Internal Port boxes.
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the Internal IP box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
Select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding from the Protocol box.
In the Enable This Entry checkbox put a checkmark.
When you are all done click the Ok button.
Once you are finished with each entry, don't forget to save by clicking the green OK button.
Congratulations, you have forwarded ports on the TP-Link Archer C59 router.
Check Your Ports
After port forwarding I recommend checking to see if the ports forwarded correctly. Use our Open Port Checker. It is part of our FREE trial version of the Network Utilities. Our Port Checker uses a local application to see if the ports are listening. This guarantees an accurate result.
If you still have questions concerning port forwarding I recommend looking in our forum. Specifically I recommend looking at our FAQ section.
Check out our selection of free guides here. We have everything from game walkthroughs to understanding what DHCP is.
If you are looking for router setup guides check out setuprouter.com