The Asus RT-N600 router uses a firewall to help protect your home network from unwanted Internet connections. It does this by blocking all incoming and outgoing connections that are not authorized. This is why sometimes when you are playing an online game or using an online application it won't run as smoothly as you think it should. Some of the connections may be being blocked by your firewall. To fix this frustrating problem you need to open the game or application's ports. This is called a port forward.
In this guide I will be walking you through each of the following steps:
- First, I will show you how to setup a static IP address on the device you are forwarding these ports to.
- Then I will show you how to login to the Asus RT-N600 router.
- After you have logged in, you need to find the port forwarding section of the router.
- Finally, I will show you exactly how to create a port forward entry.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
Now that the device you are forwarding these ports to has a static IP address it is time to login to the Asus RT-N600 router. This router uses a web interface which means you need to login using a web browser. It does not matter which browser you decide to use, simply pick your favorite. Some of the more common options are Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Edge.
Go ahead and open that web browser and look for the address bar. This is normally at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Asus RT-N600 IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
Of course if you have changed the router's IP address in the past, you need to enter that IP address instead of the default one. If you changed it and don't remember what you changed it to, follow the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
After entering the Asus RT-N600 IP address in the bar just click the Enter key and you should be taken the following page:
In the space available go ahead and enter the username and password for the Asus RT-N600 router then press the blue Sign in button.
- The Default Asus RT-N600 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Asus RT-N600 Router Password is: password
If you are having trouble logging into the Asus RT-N600 router, here are some troubleshooting options:
- First, we strongly recommend trying other Asus usernames and passwords. If you have a different firmware version you may have a different username and/or password. Here is our list of Default Asus Router Passwords.
- If that first option did not work, it is because you changed the username and password in the past and don't remember what you changed it to. Why not trying to guess what you changed it to? We recommend using our Find Password App to help. It automates the process of guessing over and over again. Learn all about it on this Router Password Cracker page.
- Finally if both the above options did not work it might be time to consider a factory reset. A reset like this is a big step and should not be taken lightly. All your personal information is erased. Learn more about resetting the Asus RT-N600 router on this How to Reset a Router page.
It is now time to find the port forwarding section of the router. We begin on the first page of the router: The Network Map.
Look in the left sidebar and click the option of WAN, under Advanced Settings.
Then look at the top of the page. Click the option of Virtual Server/Port Forwarding.
You are now on the correct page to make a port forward.
Make sure to click the Yes radio button next to Enable Port Forwarding.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Browsing our List of Games
- Check out our our List of Games by Genre
- See our List of all Applications
Enter the name of the program into the Service Name box. It doesn't really matter what you put into this box, but something that will remind you why these ports are being forwarded is be a good idea.
Enter the ports to forward into the Port Range box.
The ports can be entered as a list 23,24,25, a range 500-600, or a combination of both 23,45,500-600.
You need to enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to in the Local IP box. It's possible for this to be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
In the Protocol box select the protocol that you want to forward these ports over.
When you are finished, click the + button.
When you are finished, click the black Apply button at the bottom of the page.
Test Your Ports
It is now time to test your ports to see if they forwarded correctly. When doing this we recommend using our Open Port Checker. It's free and part of our trial version of the Network Utilities. Our port checker is better than the others you find online because we use a local application to see if the ports are open or not. This guarantees an open port verification.
We also recommend checking out our huge selection of free guides. From networking to gaming, portforward.com is your information source.
Are you looking for guides about setting up your router? We got you covered, check out our setuprouter.com site.