You probably already knew that your D-Link DIR-608 router comes with a basic firewall that helps protect your home network from unwanted Internet access, but do you know how it does that? Your D-Link DIR-608 firewall works by blocking all Internet connections that are not authorized by your router. Some online games or programs will run much smoother if you have additional connections opened up. The way you allow more connections to be opened is a port forward. This takes the named port and directs it at the computer you choose.
In this guide I will show you exactly how to port forward on the D-Link DIR-608 router. I will show you how to:
- Setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- Login to the D-Link DIR-608 router.
- Find the port forwarding section of the router.
- Make a port forward on D-Link DIR-608 router.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
TIP: Write this static IP address down. You need it a little later in the process.
It is time to login to the D-Link DIR-608 router. To do this you need to open a web browser on your computer because the router uses a web interface. It typically doesn't matter which browser you decide to use, I recommend picking one that is familiar to you (like the one you are using right now). Common web browsers to choose from are Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Chrome.
Once you have opened the web browser, find the address bar. This is normally at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default D-Link DIR-608 IP Address is: 192.168.11.1
If that address did not work or you know you have changed it in the past, you need to find out what the router's IP address has been changed to. To find out follow the directions on the How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
After you have entered the correct IP address into the address bar, click the Enter key on your keyboard. This should take you to an authentication page similar to this:
You should see a D-Link login page. It asks you for a username and a password.
- The Default D-Link DIR-608 Router Username is: admin
- The Default D-Link DIR-608 Router Password is: password
If you find yourself unable to gain access to the D-Link DIR-608 router interface there are a few things you can try:
- First, I recommend trying other default D-Link passwords. Router manufacturers are always updating the router's firmware so if your username and password did not work, it may have been updated and changed. Here is our list of common Default D-Link Router Passwords.
- If that did not work it is probably because you changed the router's username and password in the past and don't remember what it was changed to. Try guessing a few times, or try our Find Password App. Learn more about it on this page.
- Finally, if nothing else works, it may be time to consider a factory reset for the router. Do not reset the router unless you have no other options. A reset erases everything you have ever changed in the past. A full reconfiguration of the router will be needed after a factory reset is complete. Learn the basics of resetting a router on this How to Reset a Router page.
It is now time to find the port forwarding section of the D-Link DIR-608 router. To do this we will begin on the following page:
On this page, you should see some available options at the top of the page. Click the one labeled Advanced.
You should now be on a page like the one you see above. Select the option of Virtual Server in the left sidebar.
Congratulations, you are now on the correct page to make a port forward entry.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Enable the User-defined Service Name radio button.
Make up a name to put in the User-defined Service Name box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward, it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
In the Protocol box select the protocol that you want to forward these ports over.
Enter the same port number to be forwarded into the WAN Port and the LAN Open Port boxes.
Enter the IP address of the device that you want to forward ports to into the LAN IP Address box. This can be either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another device on your network.
Click the Apply Changes button when you are done.
Be sure to click the Apply Changes button after each entry.
Was Your Port Forward Successful?
Now that you have forwarded ports on the D-Link DIR-608 you should test to see if your ports are forwarded correctly.
To test if your port has been properly forwarded, I recommend using our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Our Open Port Check tool is the only online port checking tool with Guaranteed Results.
Here at portforward.com we have more than just port forwarding guides. Check out our networking, software, and gaming guides here.
Is your router secure? Is your router using the best encryption available? Find out and learn how to fix it at setuprouter.com.