D-Link DSL-2750U routers come equipped with a basic firewall that helps protect your home network form unwanted access from the Internet. The firewall does this by blocking incoming connections that you may want unblocked for a game or other online application. This process of opening a port is frequently called a port forward, since you are forwarding a port from the Internet to a device on your home network.
In this guide we will walk you through every step in the process of opening the ports for the D-Link DSL-2750U router. We will show you how to:
- Setup a static IP address on the computer or device you want to forward these ports to.
- Login to your D-Link DSL-2750U router.
- Navigate to the port forwarding section.
- Create a port forward entry.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Another highly recommended way of getting a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP Reservation.
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
With DHCP reservations you can manage your devices from your router. This centralizes the management of your network and helps prevent IP address conflicts. Using this method you do not have to log in to your devices separately.
Write this static IP address down, you will be needing it in Step 4.
To login to the D-Link DSL-2750U router you need to use a web browser. It doesn't matter which browser you decide to use, we recommend picking one you are the most comfortable using such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Edge.
Open the web browser up and find the address bar. This is normally at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default D-Link DSL-2750U router IP address is: 10.0.0.2
If you have changed the router's IP address in the past then enter that IP address in the address bar. If you don't remember what you changed it to or the above default address did not work, you need to find out what you changed it to. We recommend following the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
After entering the correct IP address into the address bar, click the Enter key on your keyboard. This should give you an authentication page or box like this:
Do you see a box for a username and a box for a password? Simply enter the username and password and press Enter or the Login button.
- The Default D-Link DSL-2750U Router Username is: admin
- The Default D-Link DSL-2750U Router Password is: password
This is a common place to get stuck. Here are a few things you can try if you find yourself here:
- First, we recommend trying other D-Link username and password combinations. If you have a slightly different firmware version of a D-Link router you may also have a different username password combination. Here is our list of the Default D-Link Router Passwords.
- If that did not work, it is likely you changed the username and/or password in the past and don't remember what you changed it to. You can do a couple things here. One - try and guess what you changed it to (chances are this will work). Two - Let us help by automating the process for you. Use our Find Password App. It guesses thousands of different combinations for you. Learn all about it on this Router Password Cracker page.
- Finally, and as a last resort, you may need to do a factory reset on the D-Link DSL-2750U router. A factory reset is a big step and everything you have ever changed is erased. If you use DSL you may also need to contact your ISP for the login information for them. Be aware that a factory reset requires a full reconfiguration of your network. If you need to reset the router, learn how on this How to Reset a Router page.
Now we need to find the port forwarding section of your D-Link DSL-2750U router. Here's how you do it. Starting from the first page in your router:
First, click the Advanced option at the top of the page.
Now take a look at the left sidebar. Click the new option of Port Forwarding.
You are now on the port forwarding page of the router interface. Click the option of Add in the center section of the page.
Now you are ready to enter the port forwarding data into your router.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Select the Custom Server radio button.
Make up a name to put in the Custom Server box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward, it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the Server IP Address box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of the range into the External Port Start and Internal Port Start boxes. Then enter the highest number of the range into the External Port End and Internal Port End boxes. If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into the External Port Start, External Port End, Internal Port Start and Internal Port End boxes.
Select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding from the Protocol box.
Congratulations. You did it.
Testing the Port Forward
How do you tell if your port forward went through as it was suppose to. You need to test it. There are a lot of different port checkers on the Internet. Most use the application you are forwarding the ports for to check if your ports are open. That works great except if you don't have that application yet. If this happens you get a false reading from the port checker.
Our Open Port Checker doesn't work that way. We don't assume you have a certain application on your computer. Our Open Port Checker uses a local application on your computer to see if the ports are open guaranteeing no false readings.
Don't forget you can always use our Port Forwarding Software. Our software makes port forwarding easy. We help you by troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing all your port forwarding issues for you.
Check out our other networking and gaming guides here.
Need to setup your router? We can help make your router as secure as possible, check out our guides for your router at setuprouter.com.