How to Port Forward a Motorola SBG6580 Router
This is the open port guide for the Motorola SBG6580 Arris. We also have the following related guides:
Pick the guide that most closely matches your router.
This Motorola Arris SBG6580 router has a basic firewall installed that helps to protect your home network. This firewall blocks incoming ports and sometimes it becomes necessary to unblock these ports for a game or other application. The process of opening a blocked port is called a port forward because you forward a port through the firewall and direct it at a device on your home network.
In this guide we will walk you through each of the steps involved in port forwarding. These steps are:
- Setting up a Static IP address on the exact device you want these ports forwarded to.
- How to login to your Motorola Arris SBG6580 router.
- Navigate to the port forwarding section.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Click on Port Forwarding.
- Click the Create IPv4 button.
- Finally, we will be showing you exactly what to input in your router to get your ports forwarded.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
- → Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
When you need to login to the Motorola Arris SBG6580 router you need to first open up a web browser. The reason you need a web browser is because the router uses a web interface program to make setting adjustments.
It does not matter what browser you decide to use. I recommend just picking your favorite. Some of the more popular web browsers available are:
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
After opening the web browser look for the address bar. This is normally located at the top of the page like this:
We have circled the address bar for you in the image above. Simply replace what is in the address bar with the router's IP address. The IP address is sometimes referred to as the router's default gateway.
If you have changed the router's IP address and don't remember what you changed it to, we recommend following the instructions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
By default the Motorola Arris SBG6580 router has an IP address of: 192.168.0.1
After typing the IP address into the address bar, just press the Enter key and you should be shown the following page:
This page gives you a place to enter the username and password for your router.
- The Default Motorola SBG6580 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Motorola SBG6580 Router Password is: motorola
Simply enter the username and password for the router and click Login. If you have changed the router's username and password then enter those values instead.
This is a very common place to get stuck. If you are unable to login to your router then here are a few things you can try:
- First, try some other Motorola passwords. If you have a slightly different firmware version it is possible the username and password are different as well. Here is our list of Default Motorola Router Passwords.
- If that did not work, then it is probably because you changed the username and password in the past and have forgotten. We recommend using our Find Password App to help you figure out what the password is. This password app is great because it automates the process of trying thousands of different combinations. Learn more on this Find Password App page.
- Finally, if you have tried everything else, it may be time to consider a reset. A reset like this one erases all personal changes you have made to the device. We strongly recommend trying other troubleshooting methods before you decide to reset the router back to it's factory defaults. Learn more on this How to Reset a Router page.
It is now time to find the port forwarding section of the router. To do that let us start on the Home page:
First, click the Advanced option at the top of the page.
At this point, a new menu appears. Click the new option of Port Forwarding.
Now, select the Create IPv4 button in the center of the page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to in the Local IP Address box. You can enter either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another computer or device on your network.
If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into both of the Local Start/End Port and both of the External Start/End Port boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the left hand Local Start/End Port and External Start/End Port boxes. Then enter the highest number of that range into the right hand Local Start/End Port and External Start/End Port boxes.
Make up a name to put in the Description box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward, it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
In the Protocol box select the protocol that you want to forward these ports over.
Use the Enabled dropdown box to choose On.
Click the Apply button when you are all done.
Make sure to click the Apply button after each entry is completed.
How to Test Your Ports
After you have forwarded the ports on the Motorola Arris SBG6580 router you need to test them to see if the ports forwarded correctly. In order to do this we recommend using our Open Port Checker. This is part of our Network Utilities free trial. Our port checker uses a local application to listen for the server trying to connect and then positively confirms that your port is forwarded.