Here is a list of the ports that need to be forwarded for OpenVPN:
OpenVPN - PC
- TCP: 1194
- UDP: 1194
Forward Ports for OpenVPN
You may need to forward ports in your router when you use OpenVPN. By forwarding ports you allow connection requests coming from the internet to be directed to OpenVPN.
Routers do not generally allow incoming connection requests from the internet. A port forward can overcome this limitation.
Before You Forward a Port
You need to know the following things before you can forward a port:
- Your router's IP address.
- Your computer's internal IP address.
- A list of TCP and UDP ports that need to be forwarded.
Find Your Router's IP Address
We have free Router Detector software to help you find your router's IP address. Our Router Detector tool is free to use and is part of our Network Utilities software.
If you do not want to run the software, you can follow our Find Your Router IP Address guide.
How To Forward Ports for OpenVPN
A smart way to forward your ports is to use Network Utilities. Since Network Utilities allows you to both forward and un-forward ports easily you can keep your network security maximized, and then forward ports only when you need them.
Port forwarding can also be set up step-by-step by hand. The process for forwarding a port is:
- Begin by logging in to your router.
- Look for the port forwarding section in your router.
- Put your computer's IP address in the proper box in your router.
- Put the TCP and UDP ports for OpenVPN in the corresponding boxes in your router.
Usually you have to reboot your router in order to save the changes.
You can choose your router from our list to see exactly how to forward ports for OpenVPN:
List of Routers - Customized for OpenVPN
That's all it takes to forward your ports for OpenVPN.