The following ports need to be forwarded for a Synology DS408 device:
Synology DS408 - PC
- TCP: 20-22, 25, 80, 110-111, 137-139, 143, 443, 445, 548, 873, 892, 993, 995, 2049, 3260, 4672, 5000-5001, 5005-5006, 5432, 6881-6999, 7000-7001, 9997-9999, 55536-55663, 55736-55863
- UDP: 25, 110-111, 137-139, 143, 445, 892, 993, 995, 2049, 4662, 4672, 5432, 6881-6999, 9997-9999
Forwarding Ports for a Synology DS408 device
You may need to forward ports in your router when you use a Synology DS408 device. By forwarding ports you allow connection requests coming from the internet to be directed to a Synology DS408 device.
By default routers do not allow incoming network requests. By forwarding ports you can work around this limitation.
Before Forwarding a Port
Before you can forward a port you need to know the following things:
- Your router's IP address.
- Your NAS's internal IP address.
- Each of the TCP and UDP ports that you need to forward.
Locate Your Router's IP Address
To find your router's IP address the easy way you can use our free Router Detector software. The software is part of our Network Utilities suite of tools and it is completely free to use.
Otherwise, you can follow our guide Find Your Router IP Address.
How To Forward Ports for a Synology DS408 device
You can use our Network Utilities software to automatically forward ports for you. Network Utilities lets you manage port forwards by putting them in when you need them and also removing the ones that you no longer need which maximized network security.
Another option is to go through the process of forwarding ports one step at a time. The process for forwarding a port is:
- Start by logging in to your router.
- Locate your routers port forwarding section.
- Type your NAS's IP address into the correct box in your router.
- Put the TCP and UDP ports that you are forwarding for a Synology DS408 device in the correct boxes in your router.
You probably will need to reboot your router for the changes to take effect.
You can choose your router from our list to see exactly how to forward ports for a Synology DS408 device:
List of Routers - Customized for Synology DS408
That's all it takes to forward your ports for a Synology DS408 device.