On this page we will show you how to open a port on the Technicolor TG784n router. This router has a basic firewall that blocks connections from the Internet. This is to keep your home network safe. However, sometimes you need these connections to be unblocked for a game or other application. This process of unblocking a port or opening a port is typically called a port forward because you are forwarding a port or group of ports through the firewall to a specific device on your home network.
To open a port you need to:
- Setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding the ports to.
- Login to your Technicolor TG784n router.
- Make your way to the port forwarding section of the router.
- Click the Toolbox link.
- Click on Game & Application Sharing.
- Click the Create a new game or application link.
- Enter a name in the Name box.
- Click the Manual Entry of Port Maps radio button.
- Click the Next button.
- Enter the proper data to create a port forward.
These steps probably sound difficult, but don't worry, we will be walking you through each step in the process for your Technicolor TG784n router.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Let's login to the router. The Technicolor TG784n has a web interface, so you will need to login using a web browser. It doesn't matter what web browser you decide to use, simply pick your favorite. This can be Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, or any other you decide to use.
Upon opening your chosen web browser, find the address bar. Normally this can be found at the top of the page.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Technicolor TG784n IP Address is: 192.168.1.254 After you have finished entering the IP Address of your router you can just press the Enter button on the keyboard. If it goes as it should you will see the following screen:
If you see a box asking for a username and password you are in the right place.
- The Default Technicolor TG784n Router Username is: Administrator
- The Default Technicolor TG784n Router Password is: blank or the access key printed on label
Go ahead and enter the username and password, then click the OK button to login to the Technicolor TG784n router.
If the username and password did not work there could be multiple reasons why. Here are a few troubleshooting ideas you can try:
- Sometimes when a router manufacturer updates firmware they also change the username and password. Therefore the first step we recommend is trying other default Technicolor usernames and passwords. You can find a list of them on our Default Technicolor Router Passwords page.
- If you are still stuck, how about trying to crack it yourself? We have a Find Password App that automates the process for you. It only works on your home network so there is no risk involved.
- Finally, as a last resort, you may need to consider a router reset. A reset erases all configurations, not only the username and password. After a reset is complete you should be able to use the default Technicolor TG784n username and password to access the router. Learn more about resetting the router in our How to Reset a Router guide.
It is now time to find the port forwarding section of the router. To do that let's start on the first page:
First, click the Toolbox option in the left sidebar.
A new menu appears below that. Pick the new option of Game & Application Sharing.
You should now see a page like the one above. Near the bottom are some blue links. Click the one labeled Create a new game or application.
In the Name box, enter the name of the program you are forwarding these ports for. It doesn't matter what you enter here but it's a good idea to enter something that will remind you why these ports are being forwarded.
Then, put a dot in the Manual Entry of Port Maps radio button.
Finally, click the Next button in the lower right section of the page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
In the Protocol box select the protocol that you want to forward these ports over.
If you are only forwarding a single port then you can enter that same port number into both the left Port Range and the right Port Range boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports then you need to enter the lowest number into the left Port Range box and the highest number into the right Port Range box.
In the Translate To box enter the port to forward.
Click the Add button when you are finished.
Now, click the Assign a game or application to a local network device option at the bottom of the page.
Then, use the Devices box to choose a device you want to forward these ports to. This box contains a list of all the devices that are visible on your network.
Finally, select the application you just created in the Game or Application drop down box and click Add to enable it.
Congratulations, you did it.
Test if Your Ports are Open
It is now time to test those ports. Did they open correctly? One way to find out is use our FREE Open Port Checker. You can find this in our Network Utilities. Our Open Port Checker is one of the only ones online that has Guaranteed Results, and it's FREE.
Now that you have got your ports forwarded, what else can we help you with? Try some of these guides: