Your **TP-Link TL-R470T ** router a very basic firewall that helps protect your home network from unwanted Internet access. The firewall does this by blocking all incoming and outgoing connections that you have not already authorized. This is typically a good thing but some online games and applications require additional connections opened in order to run at their best. In order to open these additional connections you need to create a port forward.
Here in this guide I will show you how to create a port forward on the **TP-Link TL-R470T ** router. The steps I will show you how to do include:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the **TP-Link TL-R470T ** router web interface.
- How to find the port forwarding page in the router's web interface.
- How to setup a port forward for the online game or program of your choice.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Another highly recommended way of getting a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP Reservation.
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
With DHCP reservations you can manage your devices from your router. This centralizes the management of your network and helps prevent IP address conflicts. Using this method you do not have to log in to your devices separately.
TIP: Write this static IP address down. You need it in Step 4.
After creating a static IP address on the device you are forwarding these ports to, you need to login to the router interface. This router uses a web interface which means you need to open a web browser in order to access the router interface. It typically doesn't matter which browser you decide to open, simply pick your favorite such as Edge, Chrome, or Internet Explorer.
After you have opened the web browser of your choice, look for the address bar. This is normally at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default TP-Link TL-R470T IP Address is: 192.168.0.1 If the router IP address we just gave you did not work, find out what your router's IP address is by following this guide: How To Find Your Router's IP Address
After you have the the correct IP address entered in the address bar, click the Enter key and you will get a login screen similar to this one:
Here you see a space for a username and password, enter those values and press the Login button.
- The Default TP-Link TL-R470T Router Username is: admin
- The Default TP-Link TL-R470T Router Password is: password
This is a pretty common place to get stuck. If you find yourself here, don't panic, there are a few things you can try:
- First, check all the different TP-Link default combinations. Here is our list of all known Default TP-Link Router Passwords.
- Second, try and guess what the password/username was changed to. Use our Find Password App to make this step easier.
- Finally, if you still are stuck after trying both of the above options, it may be time to consider a factory reset. Learn more about this option on the How to Reset a Router page.
It is now time to find the port forwarding section of the TP-Link TL-R470T router. To help you with this step we will begin on the System Status page.
Begin by clicking the option in the left sidebar labeled Advanced.
You are now on the page shown above. Click the option at the top of the page labeled Virtual Server.
Congratulations, you have found the correct page to create a port forward.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Make up a name to put in the Name box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward, it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
Choose WAN-ALL from the Interface dropdown box.
If you are forwarding a range of ports then you need to enter the lowest number of that range into the left hand External Port and Internal Port boxes and the highest number of that range into the right hand External Port and Internal Port boxes.
If you are forwarding a single port then you can enter that same port number into both of the External Port and both of the Internal Port boxes.
Select the required protocol for these ports from the Protocol dropdown box.
Enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to in the Internal Server IP box. This is either the IP address of a computer or the IP address of another device on your network.
Put a dot into the Activate radio button.
Test Your Ports
Are your the ports you just forwarded really open? An easy way to find out is use our free Open Port Checker. It uses a local application to see if the ports are open or not. This guarantees our port checkers accuracy.
Check out our other guides here. We have a growing list of free gaming, networking, and software guides here at portforward.com.
Our other site setuprouter.com can help you setup a secure home network with your exact router.