To port forward the Actiontec MTS GT784WNV router means you are opening a connection between the Internet and a specific device on your home network. This is normally done for online gaming or some other online application. A port forward allows a port or connection through the router's firewall making the game or application respond quicker.
In this guide we will walk you through each of the steps in port forwarding the Actiontec MTS GT784WNV router. These steps are:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device or game console you want to forward these ports to.
- How to login to the Actiontec MTS GT784WNV router.
- How to find the port forwarding section of the router.
- How to make a port forward entry.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
NOTE: Write this address down. You need it for Step 4.
It is time to login to the Actiontec MTS GT784WNV router. To do this you need to open up a web browser. It typically doesn't matter which browser you decide to use. I recommend picking the one you are most familiar with. Some common web browsers are Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, and Firefox.
Open the web browser and find the address bar. This will normally be at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Actiontec MTS GT784WNV IP address is: 192.168.100.254
After entering the router's IP address into the address bar, click the Enter key on the keyboard and you are shown the following image:
If the above login page does not appear, you need to find out what the router's IP address has been changed to. To help you with this, follow the instructions on our How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
- The Default Actiontec GT784WNV Router Username is: admin
- The Default Actiontec GT784WNV Router Password is: password
This is a common place to get stuck. Here are three things you can do:
- Try other Actiontec passwords. If you have a slightly different firmware version you could easily have a different username and password combination. Her is our list of different Default Actiontec Router Passwords.
- How about using our Router Password Cracker. It finds the password for you.
- If you are still unable to access the router's interface you may need to consider a factory reset. A factory reset erases all the previously configured settings. This is not advisable unless you have no other options. Learn the basics of resetting a router on this How to Reset a Router page.
You should now be in the router interface. It is time to find the port forwarding section of the router. We begin on the first page:
On this first page, click the Firewall option at the top of the screen.
New options should now be seen in the left sidebar. Click the option of Port Forwarding.
You are now on the correct page to make a port forward.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
If you are only forwarding a single port number then enter that number into both the Starting Port and the Ending Port boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports separated by a hyphen then enter the lowest number of that range into the Starting Port box and the highest number of that range into the Ending Port box.
Use the Protocol dropdown box to select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding.
Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to into the LAN IP Address box. Note that if you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box instead.
After completing each entry, scroll down to the 3rd step. Click the Apply button to save it.
Are Your Ports Open
It is now time to check your ports. This is always a good idea. We have a FREE tool that checks for you. You can find our Open Port Checker here. Our open port checker uses a local application to see if the server is listening on the selected ports.
Port forwarding your Actiontec MTS GT784WNV should be easy. If you are having problems, please use our Port Forwarding Software. Our software helps troubleshoot, diagnose, and solve your port forwarding issues.
We have more than just port forwarding guides. Check out our list of guides here.
If you are looking for guides on how to setup your router, take a look at setuprouter.com.