Your Actiontec Verizon GT784WNV router has a firewall to protect your network from unwanted Internet access. The firewall works by blocking all incoming and outgoing connections that are not authorized by your router. Some online games and programs run much smoother if you allow more connections to be opened through the firewall. To do this you need to create what is commonly called a port forward.
In this guide we will show you how to port forward on the Actiontec Verizon GT784WNV router. We will be walking you through the following 4 steps:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you are forwarding the ports to.
- How to login to the Actiontec Verizon GT784WNV router.
- How to find the port forwarding screen in your router interface.
- What to enter on the port forwarding screen of your router interface.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
TIP: Write this static IP address down. You will be needing it in the last step.
Now that the device you are forwarding these ports to has a static IP address, it is time to login to the Actiontec Verizon GT784WNV router. In order to do this you need to open a web browser on your computer. It doesn't matter what web browser you decide to use, simply pick your favorite such as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Edge.
After opening the web browser up on your computer, find the address bar. This bar is at the top of most of the web browsers used today. It will look like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Actiontec GT784WNV IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
Simply enter the router's default IP address into the address bar and click the Enter key. If everything was correctly entered in the address bar you will get a login page like this:
On this page you need to enter the router's username and password to access the user interface. If you do not get a login page then you need to find out what the router's username and/or password has been changed to. Find your router's current IP address by following the instructions on our How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
- The Default Actiontec GT784WNV Router Username is: admin
- The Default Actiontec GT784WNV Router Password is: password
After entering the router's username and password simply press the OK button on the login screen to access the router's user interface.
Are you having trouble logging into the Actiontec Verizon GT784WNV router? Here are a few troubleshooting ideas:
- Try other Actiontec default username/password combinations. Here is the list of all the known Default Actiontec Router Passwords. When router companies update the router firmware, every once in a while they change the router's default username/password combination as well.
- If the list above did not work, it is probably because you changed the username and/or password in the past and have forgotten. If you use our Find Password App, it will help you guess what the username and/or password was changed to.
- Finally, you may need to consider a factory reset for the Actiontec Verizon GT784WNV router. This erases everything you have changed on the router in the past. Learn how to do this on our How to Reset a Router page.
You should now see the user interface of the Actiontec Verizon GT784WNV router. Let's get you to the port forwarding page. We start on the Home page:
Finding the port forwarding page is fairly easy on the Actiontec Verizon GT784WNV router. Simply press the Advanced Setup tab at the top of the screen.
Now, look in the left sidebar. Under the heading of Security, click the link titled Port Forwarding.
You are now on the correct page to make a port forward entry or rule.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
If you are only forwarding a single port number then enter that number into both the Starting Port and the Ending Port boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports separated by a hyphen then enter the lowest number of that range into the Starting Port box and the highest number of that range into the Ending Port box.
From the Protocol box select the protocol for the ports that you want to forward.
Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to in the LAN IP Address box. You can enter either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another computer or device on your network.
Don't forget to click the red Apply button when you are finished with each entry.
Test if Your Ports are Open
It is now time to check if the ports forwarded like they were supposed to. To do this we recommend using our Open Port Checker found in our Network Utilities. Our port checker uses a local application to see if the ports are open, ensuring an accurate reading.
Here at portforward.com we have more than just port forwarding guides. We also have networking, software, and gaming guides. Check them out on our guide page.
Do you need help setting up your router for the first time? How about your WiFi security, is it as strong as it should be? We can help at setuprouter.com.