Simple Arris DG860A Router Open Port Guide
Your Arris DG860A router comes equipped with a firewall that helps protect your home network from unwanted Internet access. The firewall does this by blocking all incoming and outgoing connections unless specified otherwise. In order to open some of these connections you need to create a port forward.
Port forwarding is not a difficult process if you follow our guide. We will walk you through each of the steps in order, including:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the Arris DG860A router.
- How to find the port forwarding section once you are in the router interface.
- How to create the port forward for your game or application.
While these steps might seem difficult at first, we will walk you through each step for your Arris DG860A router.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
- → Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Now we are going to login to your Arris DG860A router. Your router has a web interface, so you login to it using your web browser. This can be either Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Edge. It usually does not matter which browser you choose to use.
Open up your web browser and find the address bar. It should look something like this:
In the picture above the address bar has 192.168.0.1 in it. Just replace all of that with the IP address of your Arris DG860A router. Your router's IP address can also be refered to as your computer's default gateway or the router's GUI address.
By default the Arris DG860A IP address is: 192.168.0.1
If you have changed the router's IP address in the past then enter that IP address in the address bar. If you don't remember what you changed it to or the above default address did not work, you need to find out what you changed it to. We recommend following the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
After entering the IP address of your router you can simply press enter. You are shown a page or box like this:
You should see a box prompting you for your username and password.
- The Default Arris DG860A Router Username is: admin
- The Default Arris DG860A Router Password is: password
Enter your username and password, and then click the Login button to log in to your Arris DG860A router.
This is a common place to get stuck. Here are a few things you can try if you find yourself here:
- First, we recommend trying other Arris username and password combinations. If you have a slightly different firmware version of a Arris router you may also have a different username password combination. Here is our list of the Default Arris Router Passwords.
- If that did not work, it is likely you changed the username and/or password in the past and don't remember what you changed it to. You can do a couple things here. One - try and guess what you changed it to (chances are this will work). Two - Let us help by automating the process for you. Use our Find Password App. It guesses thousands of different combinations for you. Learn all about it on this Router Password Cracker page.
- Finally, and as a last resort, you may need to do a factory reset on the Arris DG860A router. A factory reset is a big step and everything you have ever changed is erased. If you use DSL you may also need to contact your ISP for the login information for them. Be aware that a factory reset requires a full reconfiguration of your network. If you need to reset the Arris DG860A router, learn how on this How to Reset a Router page.
Now we need to find the port forwarding section in your Arris DG860A router. Here's how you do it. Starting from the first page in your router:
- Select the option at the top of the page labeled Firewall
- Now, click the option in the left sidebar labeled Virtual Servers
- Then, click the Add button in the center section of the page.
You are now on the correct page to make a port forward entry (called a virtual server in this router).
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Make up a name to put in the Description box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward, it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the left hand Inbound Port and Local Port boxes. Then enter the highest number of that range into the right hand Inbound Port and Local Port boxes.
If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into both of the Inbound Port and both of the Local Port boxes.
Select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding from the Format box.
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the Private IP Address box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
When you are finished, click the Add Virtual Server button.
Your ports should now be open. It is time to test them.
Testing the Port Forward
How do you tell if your port forward went through as it was suppose to. You need to test it. There are a lot of different port checkers on the Internet. Most use the application you are forwarding the ports for to check if your ports are open. That works great except if you don't have that application yet. If this happens you get a false reading from the port checker.
Our Open Port Checker doesn't work that way. We don't assume you have a certain application on your computer. Our Open Port Checker uses a local application on your computer to see if the ports are open guaranteeing no false readings.
Don't forget you can always use our Port Forwarding Software. Our software makes port forwarding easy. We help you by troubleshooting, diagnosing and fixing all your port forwarding issues for you.
Check out our other networking and gaming guides here.
Need to setup your router? We can help make your router as secure as possible, check out our guides for your router at setuprouter.com.