In this guide I will walk you through all the steps in order to get your ports forwarded on the Arris Virgin Media TG2492LG-VM router.
This Arris Virgin Media TG2492LG-VM router has a firewall that protects your home network from Internet attacks. The firewall works by blocking all unauthorized connections. The fewer connections you have opened to the Internet the safer your network is. However, some online games or programs run much smoother if a few extra connections are opened for them. This is called a port forward because you are forwarding a port through the firewall to a specific device on your network.
I will be covering how to:
- setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding the ports to.
- login to the Arris Virgin Media TG2492LG-VM router interface.
- find the port forwarding section of the device.
- enter the correct information for the port forward.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
TIP: Write this static IP address down.
After you have given the device you are forwarding these ports to a static IP address, it is time to login to the Arris Virgin Media TG2492LG-VM router.
Open up a web browser. It shouldn't matter which browser you decide to use, I recommend picking one you are familiar with such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Edge, or Internet Explorer.
Now find the address bar. This is at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Arris TG2492LG-VM IP Address is: 192.168.0.1
Now press the Enter key on your keyboard to get a login screen similar to this:
If you do not see a screen like the one above, you need to find out what the router's IP address has been changed to. Follow our guide titled How To Find Your Router's IP Address
Once you get a login screen, enter the appropriate username and password.
- The Default Arris TG2492LG-VM Router Username is: admin
- The Default Arris TG2492LG-VM Router Password is: password
Press the OK or login button to access your router's interface.
This is a common place to have problems. Here are a few tips:
- On occasion router manufacturers change the defaults. If the defaults we gave above did not work try some other common Arris passwords. Here is our list of known Default Arris Router Passwords.
- Still unable to login? Did you change the username/password in the past? Try guessing some of your more common passwords you use. You can also use our Find Password App.
- If you are still unable to login, it might be time to consider a factory reset. This is not something to take lightly. A lot of settings may be changed, depending on how much you have personalized your router. Learn the basics of resetting a router here at How to Reset a Router.
Now that you are logged in, it is time to find the port forwarding section of the router interface. To help you with this we begin on the Home page:
First, click the Advanced Settings option in the left sidebar.
Then, under that select Security.
Finally, click the link titled Port Forwarding
Congratulations, you have made your way to the port forwarding section of the Arris Virgin Media TG2492LG-VM router.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
You need to enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to in the Local IP box. It's possible for this to be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of the range into the Local start port and External start port boxes. Then enter the highest number of the range into the Local end port and External end port boxes. If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into the Local start port, Local end port, External start port and External end port boxes.
The protocol that you want to forward is selected from the Protocol box.
In the Enabled dropdown box pick On.
When you are all done click the Add button.
When you are finished, click the red Apply Changes button to save your changes.
Check your Ports
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if the ports forwarded properly, so we recommend using our Open Port Checker to see if the ports forwarded correctly. Our port checker uses a local application to see if the server is listening. This guarantees an accurate reading.
Here at portforward.com we have more than just port forwarding guides. We also have networking, software, and gaming guides. Check them out on our guide page.
Do you need help setting up your router for the first time? How about your WiFi security, is it as strong as it should be? We can help at setuprouter.com.