Your Arris TG852 includes a pretty basic firewall that helps protect your local network from unwanted Internet access. The firewall does this by actively blocking all incoming and outgoing Internet connections unless you specify otherwise. Some online games and applications work much better if additional connections are allowed through the firewall. In order to allow more connections through the firewall you need to create a port forward.
In this guide we will walk you through each of the steps involved in forwarding ports on the Arris TG852 router. These steps include:
- Setting up a static IP address on device you plan on forwarding ports to.
- Logging into the Arris TG852 router.
- Finding the port forwarding section in the router interface.
- Entering the port forward information on the port forwarding page.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
TIP: Write this Static IP address down, you need it a little later in this guide.
It is time to login to the Arris TG852 router. To login to the router you need to use a web browser. It should not matter what browser you decide to use, simply pick your favorite. Some common options are Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox.
Open up the browser you picked and find the address bar. This should be at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Arris TG852 IP Address is: 192.168.0.1
Once you have finished entering the router's IP address, press Enter. You should be shown a page similar to the one below:
If you are not shown a page like the one above, you need to find out what the IP address was changed to. To do this, follow the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
You should see a box prompting you for your username and password.
- The Default Arris TG852 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Arris TG852 Router Password is: password
After you have entered the username and password click the Apply button to login to the Arris TG852 router.
Arris Usernames and Passwords
This is a very common place to get stuck. Here are a few things you can try:
- We first recommend trying other Arris username/password combinations. It is possible you have a different version than this. Different versions sometimes have different passwords. Here is our list of Default Arris Router Passwords
- The most common reason a password won't work is because you have changed it in the past. You can do a couple things here: First, you can try guessing what you changed it to. Second you can use our Router Password Cracker to do the guessing for you. This handy tool really does make owning a router a lot easier.
- The last thing you can try is a factory reset. Do not attempt a factory reset unless you have exhausted all your other troubleshooting options. To learn the basics of a reset read this How to Reset a Router page.
We can now find the port forwarding section of the router. To do that we need to start on the Basic Setup page:
First be sure that Wireless is highlighted at the very top of the page.
Then select the Firewall option near the top of the page.
At this point some new choices appear in the left sidebar. Click the option of Virtual Servers.
You should now see a page like the one above. Click Add in the center section of the page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Make up a name to put in the Description box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward, it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the left hand Inbound Port and Local Port boxes. Then enter the highest number of that range into the right hand Inbound Port and Local Port boxes.
If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into both of the Inbound Port and both of the Local Port boxes.
In the Format box select the protocol that you want to forward these ports over.
You need to enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to in the Private IP Address box. It's possible for this to be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
When you are all done click the Add Virtual Server button.
After you finish each entry, click the Add Virtual Server.
Your ports should now be open. It is time to test them.
Testing the Port Forward
In order to quickly find out if the port forward you just completed on the Arris TG852 router went through correctly we recommend using a Open Port Checker. If you use our Network Utilities tool, it includes a free Open Port Checker. Our Open Port Checker is the only one online that has Guaranteed Results.
Wait, there's more...
If you are still having trouble port forwarding the Arris TG852, use our Port Forwarding Software. It is and easy and fast way to get your port forwarded.
We have more than just port forwarding guides here at portforward.com Take a look at our full selection of guides here.
Are you interested in router guides? At setuprouter.com we have guides on how to login, setup your wifi, change your DNS settings, reset, and much more. Go ahead and check it out.