Your D-Link DIR-600M router has a firewall. This is essential to keep your home network secure from Internet threats. In very basic terms a firewall works by blocking all unauthorized connections to and from the Internet. By default your router has only opened a few connections (ports) so you browse the Internet in relative safety. Some games or online programs will run much smoother if you open additional ports. To do this you need to create a port forward.
In this guide I will show you exactly how to port forward on the D-Link DIR-600M router. The steps I will walk you through are:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you are forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the D-Link DIR-600M router.
- How to find the port forwarding section in your router.
- What information to enter to get the exact port you want forwarded.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
Port forwarding does not approve the port for the entire network, only one device on your network.
After you have finished creating a static IP address, write it down. You will need the static IP address a little later in this guide.
We can now login to the D-Link DIR-600M router. This router uses a web interface to make router setting changes so you need to open a web browser.
It should not matter which browser you decide to use, simply pick one you are familiar with such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, and Firefox.
Open up the web browser and find the address bar. This is normally at the top of the page like the image below:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default D-Link DIR-600M IP Address is: 192.168.0.1
Enter the router's IP address into the address bar and click the Enter key on your keyboard.
Do you see a box prompting you for a username and password? If you do not then you need to find out what the router's IP address has been changed to. To do this follow the instructions on our How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
- The Default D-Link DIR-600M Router Username is: admin
- The Default D-Link DIR-600M Router Password is: password
Go ahead and enter the router's username and password into these spaces and press the Login button.
If you are having trouble logging into the D-Link DIR-600M router there are several things you try:
- First we recommend trying other D-Link usernames and passwords. Router manufacturers update their firmware all the time and sometimes these updates include a new username and password. Here is the list of all the known Default D-Link Router Passwords.
- If the list we just gave you did not work it is probably because you changed the username and or password and don't remember what you changed it to. Try guessing a few times or use our Find Password App. Learn more about it on this page.
- Finally if nothing else seems to be working you may need to consider a factory reset. A factory reset erases all the settings you have ever changed in the past. I do not recommend doing this unless you have no other options available. To learn how to reset a router, read this How to Reset a Router.
It is now time to find the port forwarding section of the router. To help you with this step, we begin on the Device Information page of the interface.
First, click the Advanced option at the top of the page.
Then, click the link in the left sidebar labeled Virtual Server.
You should now be on the correct page to make a port forward entry.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Put a dot into the User-defined Service Name radio button.
Enter the name of the program into the User-defined Service Name box. It doesn't really matter what you put into this box, but something that will remind you why these ports are being forwarded is be a good idea.
Use the Protocol dropdown box to select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding.
Enter the same port number to be forwarded into the WAN Port and the LAN Open Port boxes.
Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to into the LAN IP Address box. Note that if you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box instead.
When you are finished, click the Apply Changes button.
When you are finished don't forget to save your changes.
Test if Your Ports are Open
Now that you have forwarded ports on the D-Link DIR-600M you should test to see if your ports are forwarded correctly.
To test if your port has been properly forwarded, you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Our Open Port Check tool is the only online port checking tool with Guaranteed Results.
Check out our other guides here. We have networking, software, and gaming guides.
Do you need help setting up your router? What security is best for your home network? We have router guides for your router. Check it out at setuprouter.com.