Your **D-Link DIR-615 ** router uses a firewall to help keep your home network safe from unwanted Internet access. The firewall does this by blocking all incoming and outgoing connections that have not been authorized. Some online games and applications run much smoother when additional connections or ports are opened to allow for a smoother game play. To do this you need to create a port forward.
In this guide I will show you how to open a port on the D-Link DIR-615 router. These steps will include:
- how to setup a static IP address on the device or console you want to port forward these ports to.
- how to login to the D-Link DIR-615 router.
- how to find the port forwarding section of the device.
- how to setup a port forward on the D-Link DIR-615 router.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
TIP: Write this static IP address down. You need it in Step 4.
I will now show you how to login to the D-Link DIR-615 router. To do this you need to open a web browser because this router uses a web interface to make router setting changes.
Go ahead and open up any web browser you want. It shouldn't matter which one you open. I suggest using the one you are most familiar with (probably the one you have open right now) such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, or Firefox.
Once you have opened the web browser, find the address bar. It should be at the top of the page. It looks similar to this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default D-Link DIR-615 IP Address is: 192.168.0.1 Go ahead and enter the router's IP address in the address bar. Then press the Enter key. You should be shown a login page similar to this:
If you are unable to bring up a login screen or the web browser tells you the site cannot be reached, then you need to find out what the router's IP address has been changed to. Follow the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page to find out.
On the login page you should be asked for a username and password.
- The Default D-Link DIR-615 Router Username is: admin
- The Default D-Link DIR-615 Router Password is: password
If the username and password we gave you above did not work, don't panic. Here are some things you can try:
- Router manufacturers are always updating their routers and they may have changed the router's username and password as well. I recommend trying other default D-Link username/password combinations. Here is our list of all the Default D-Link Router Passwords.
- If that did not work, it is probably because you were prompted to change the username and password in the router setup and have forgotten what or even that you did change them. Try guessing what you may of changed the username and password to. We have a Find Password App that does the guessing for you. Learn more about it on this page.
- As a last resort, if you are still locked out of your router interface, you may need to consider a factory reset. A factory reset erases all the changed settings in the router, including the username and password. I do not recommend doing this unless you have fully exhausted all your other troubleshooting options. All settings you have changed in the past and more if you use DSL are erased. To learn how to reset a router, read this How to Reset a Router guide.
You should now be logged into the router interface. To find the port forwarding section of the router we begin on the Setup page:
First, click the tab at the top of the page labeled Advanced.
You should now see a page similar to the one above.
Now look in the left sidebar and choose the option labeled Virtual Server.
You are now on the correct page to create a port forward entry for your game or application.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Enable the User-defined Service Name radio button.
You need to name this entry in the User-defined Service Name box. The name does not make any difference in the forward; it's just there so that you can remember later why you setup this forward.
Select the required protocol for these ports from the Protocol dropdown box.
Enter the same port number to be forwarded into both the WAN Port and the LAN Open Port boxes.
You need to enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to in the LAN IP Address box. It's possible for this to be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
Click the Apply Changes button when you are finished.
Don't forget to click the Apply Changes button when you are finished with each port forward entry.
Test Your Port Forward
After you have finished all the steps above, it is a very good idea to check and see if the ports forwarded properly. I recommend using our Open Port Checker. It is part of our Network Utilities bundle. Our port checker is guaranteed to give you an accurate reading on whether your ports are forwarded properly or not.
We have more than just port forwarding guides. Check out our others here
Do you need help making sure your home network is secure and the way you want it to be? We have router specific guide at setuprouter.com.