Fastest D-Link DIR-655 Router Port Forwarding Steps
This is the open port guide for the D-Link DIR-655. We also have the following related guides:
Pick the guide that most closely matches your router.
All D-Link DIR-655 routers have a basic firewall that protects your home network from unwanted Internet access. The firewall works by blocking any incoming or outgoing connections that are not authorized. This allows you to access the Internet just fine but some online gaming or programs will run much smoother if additional connections (ports) are allowed through the firewall. In order to allow more connections through the firewall you need to create a port forward for the device or console you are wanting to run the program or game on.
On this page I will show you how to:
- setup a static IP address on the device or console you are forwarding these ports to.
- login to the D-Link DIR-655 router.
- find the port forwarding section in the router interface.
- make a port forward on the D-Link DIR-655 router.
Don't worry, I will walk you through each of the steps.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guide to setup a static IP address.
TIP: Write this static IP address down. You need it a little later in the process.
Once you have made a static IP address for the device you are forwarding the ports to, you need to login to the router in order to create the port forwarding rule. Your D-Link DIR-655 router uses a web interface, so you need to login to it using a web browser.
It normally does not matter which web browser you decide to use, I recommend using one you are familiar with such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox.
Open up your web browser and find the address bar. It should look something like this:
In the image above I have circled the address bar for you. All you need to do is replace what is currently in the address bar with the router's IP address. Your router's IP address can also be called the computer's default gateway.
By default the D-Link DIR-655 router has an IP address of: 192.168.0.1
After entering the IP address of your router you can simply press Enter. If all goes well you will see the following screen:
If you do not see the above image or a similar one asking for a username and password you need to find out what the router's IP address is. To do this simply follow the instructions on our How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
You should see a box prompting you for your username and password.
- The Default D-Link DIR-655 Router Username is: admin
- The Default D-Link DIR-655 Router Password is: password
After you enter the username and password, click the Log In button to access to your D-Link DIR-655 router.
Here are a few things you can try if the username and password did not work:
- Try other default D-Link username/password combinations. Please visit our Default D-Link Router Passwords page.
- How about trying to guess what it was changed to. During initial configuration, most router's encourage you to change the username and password because they are so insecure. If you need a little extra help with the guessing process, try our Find Password App.
- If you still can't login to the D-Link DIR-655 router you may need to consider a factory reset. A factory reset comes with it's own set of problems however and should always be considered you have tried everything else first. A full reconfiguration of the router will need to be done afterwards. To learn the basics of resetting a router back to factory defaults, check out this How to Reset a Router Password guide.
You should now be logged in to the D-Link DIR-655 router interface. It is time to find the port forwarding section of the device. To do that we begin on the Status page:
First, you need to click the ADVANCED option at the top of the page.
On this new page, click the Port Forwarding link in the left sidebar.
You should now be on the correct page to make a port forward on the D-Link DIR-655.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Enable the Enable checkbox by putting a check in it.
Make up a name to put in the Name box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward, it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
Use the Computer Name box to choose a device to forward ports to. This box contains a list of device names that are visible on your network.
These entries are protocol specific. If the ports you are forwarding need to be forwarded using the TCP protocol, you should enter those ports into the TCP section. If the ports you are forwarding need to be forwarded with the UDP protocol, you should enter those ports into the udp section.
In the TCP or UDP box enter the ports to forward.
You can ports can be entered as a list 23,24,25, a range 500-600, or a combination of both 23,45,500-600.
In the Schedule dropdown box pick Always.
From the Inbound Filter dropdown box select Allow All.
When you're finished, click Save Settings near the top of the screen.
Test if Your Ports are Open
Now that you have forwarded ports on the D-Link DIR-655 you should test to see if your ports are forwarded correctly.
To test if your port has been properly forwarded, you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Our Open Port Check tool is the only online port checking tool with Guaranteed Results.
Check out our other guide topics here. We have networking, software, and gaming guides.
More at setuprouter.com