Did you know your D-Link DIR-817LW router has a firewall? This firewall blocks connections to and from the Internet that it believes to be unsafe. Sometimes an additional open connection to the Internet is needed to help a game or program run smoother. This process of gaining an additional open connection is often called a port forward.
In this guide we will walk you through each step involved in creating a port forward for the D-Link DIR-817LW router. These steps are:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device or console you are forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the D-Link DIR-817LW router.
- How to find the port forwarding section of the router menu.
- Finally, how to make a port forward entry.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
When you login to the D-Link DIR-817LW router you need to use a web browser. This is because router's typically use a web menu. All you need to do is open up the web browser of your choice. It doesn't matter what you decide to use, simply pick your favorite. Some common options are Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
After opening the web browser, try and find the address bar. This is normally at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default D-Link DIR-817LW IP Address is: 192.168.0.1
Next, simply press the Enter key on your keyboard. This should take you to the login screen:
Before you can access the router you need to prove you have authorization to do so. Simply enter in the username and password in the correct boxes.
- The Default D-Link DIR-817LW Router Username is: Admin
- The Default D-Link DIR-817LW Router Password is: blank
Now that you have finished entering the username and password, press the Log In button.
This is a fairly common place to get stuck. Here are a few things you can try:
- It is a good idea to try other D-Link passwords. If you have a slightly different firmware version you could have a different password as well. Here is our list of Default D-Link Router Passwords.
- If you still are unable to login, it is because you changed the username and/or password in the past and don't remember what you changed it to. Why not try to guess what you changed it to a few times? If you need help, go ahead and use our Find Password App. It automates the process of trying thousands of different username/password combinations for you. Learn all about it on this Router Password Cracker page.
- If after exhausting all the other troubleshooting options, it may be time to consider a reset. This type of reset erases every single setting you have ever changed in the history of this device. Learn how to reset the router on this How to Reset a Router page.
Time to find the port forwarding section of the router. In order for us to help you, we start on the Home page:
On this page, click the option at the top labeled ADVANCED.
Now look in the left sidebar and click the option of PORT FORWARDING.
You are now on the correct page to make a port forward entry.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
In the Enable checkbox put a checkmark.
Create a name for this forward and put it in the Name box. The name is only used as a reminder and has no effect on the port forward.
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the IP Address box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
Enter the ports to forward into the TCP and UDP box.
The ports can be entered as a list 23,24,25, a range 500-600, or a combination of both 23,45,500-600.
Use the Schedule dropdown box to select Always.
From the Inbound Filter dropdown box select Allow All.
Testing Your Ports
It is always important to check your work when you have finished something. In order to test your port forward you need to see if the server is trying to connect or not. One way to check is to use our Open Port Checker. It is part of our FREE trial version of our Network Utilities. Our port checker uses a local application to listen for the server trying to connect. This way we can confirm whether or not your port is forwarded.
If you are looking for more guides like this check out these guides here.
More router specific guides can be found on our site setuprouter.com.