The Huawei Swift Networks E5172s-920 router has a very basic firewall that helps protect your home network from unwanted Internet activity. The firewall works by blocking incoming and outgoing connections that have not been authorized by your router. Some online games or programs will run much smoother if you allow additional connections through the router's firewall. This process is called port forwarding.
In this guide we will show you exactly how to port forward on the Huawei Swift Networks E5172s-920 router. The steps we will be covering in this guide are:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the Huawei Swift Networks E5172s-920 router web interface.
- How to find the port forwarding page in the router's web interface.
- How to setup a port forward for the online game or program of your choice.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Another highly recommended way of getting a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP Reservation.
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
With DHCP reservations you can manage your devices from your router. This centralizes the management of your network and helps prevent IP address conflicts. Using this method you do not have to log in to your devices separately.
TIP: Write this static IP address down. You need it in Step 4.
It is now time to login to the Huawei Swift Networks E5172s-920. Most routers use a web interface which means you need to open a web browser in order to login to the Huawei Swift Networks E5172s-920 router. It normally doesn't matter which browser you decide to open, simply pick your favorite such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, or Firefox.
Once you have the web browser open, go to the top of the web page and find the address bar. This should look something like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Huawei E5172s-920 IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
Now just press the Enter key. If everything goes correctly you will see a login screen like this:
If you don't see a login screen like this one or similar you should find out if the router's IP address has been changed. To do this use our guide titled How To Find Your Router's IP Address.
Enter the router's login username and password in the space provided.
- The Default Huawei E5172s-920 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Huawei E5172s-920 Router Password is: password
This is a pretty common place to get stuck. If you find yourself here, don't panic, there are a few things you can try:
- First, check all the different Huawei default combinations. Here is our list of all known Default Huawei Router Passwords.
- Second, try and guess what the password/username was changed to. Use our Find Password App to make this step easier.
- Finally, if you are still stuck after trying both of the above options, it may be time to consider a factory reset. Learn more about this option on the How to Reset a Router page.
It is now time to find the port forwarding section of the Huawei Swift Networks E5172s-920 router. To help you with this step we begin on the Home page of the router:
Begin by clicking the option at the top of the page labeled Security.
You should see a page like the one above.
Now click the option in the left sidebar labeled Port Forwarding.
On this page, select the link in the center section of the page labeled Add Item.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Pick Custom from the Type dropdown box.
Select the required protocol for these ports from the Protocol dropdown box.
The Remote host box needs to be left blank.
If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the port range into the Remote port range box. The lowest port in the range should be entered first, then a dash, and then the highest port in the range. For example, you can enter 500-600 to forward all ports between 500 and 600.
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the Local host box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
Type the port to forward into the Local port box.
From the Status dropdown box pick Enabled.
Click the Submit button when you are finished.
Don't forget to click the blue Submit button when you are finished.
Test Your Ports
Are the ports you just forwarded really open? An easy way to find out is use our free Open Port Checker. It uses a local application to see if the ports are open or not. This guarantees our port checkers accuracy.
Check out our other guides. We have a growing list of free gaming, networking, and software guides here at portforward.com.
Our other site setuprouter.com can help you setup a secure home network with your exact router.