Your Huawei E5186s-a router protects your home network by limiting incoming connections from the internet. Sometimes it is necessary to unblock some of those connections like when you want to create a direct connection for gaming, use a specific application, or set up a new device on your network. This process is called forwarding or opening a port. In your Huawei E5186s-a router you many need to open a port, which means assigning a port number or set of port numbers to a specific IP address. This routes the incoming data to the correct device on your network.
Follow the steps below to open ports in your Huawei E5186s-a router:
- Go ahead and set up a static IP address on the computer or device that you are forwarding these ports to.
- Go ahead and log in to your Huawei E5186s-a router.
- Make your way to the Virtual Server section of the Huawei E5186s-a router.
- Find the Settings tab located near the top of the screen and click it.
- Find the Security tab at the left of the screen and click it.
- Click on the Virtual Server tab at the left of the screen.
- Create a Virtual Server entry.
Opening ports in a router can be a difficult process the first few times. Don't get discouraged! We will walk you through all the steps to open a port in the Huawei E5186s-a router.
Step 1 - Setup A Static IP Address
Set up a static IP address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This is an important step that keeps your ports open even after a reboot, power outage, or another type of device or router disconnect.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
→ Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Step 2 - Login To Your Huawei Router
The Huawei E5186s-a router uses a web interface to display router settings. In order to login to the Huawei E5186s-a router you need to use a web browser.
Open your favorite web browser. If you don't have a favorite or are not sure what this means, open up Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. If you are already in a browser window, go ahead and open up a new tab.
We have simplified this step for you with this link: Login to your E5186s-a Router
Find the address bar in your browser window. This is usually found at the top of the page, like in the image below.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The Huawei E5186s-a router's default IP address is: 192.168.8.1
After typing your router's IP address into the address bar, make sure to click the enter button on your keyboard. You should see a box similar to the one shown below.
Go ahead and enter the username and password for the Huawei E5186s-a router in the spaces available. Remember if you have changed them in the past, you need to enter those values.
- The default Huawei E5186s-a Router Username is: admin
- The default Huawei E5186s-a Router Password is: admin
Enter your username and password, and then click the Log In button to log in to your Huawei E5186s-a router.
Huawei Usernames and Passwords
If the username and password did not work, go to our Default Huawei Router Passwords page for help.
If, after trying the above list of passwords you still can't log in you may need to consider a reset for your router. Learn how to do that by reading our How to Reset a Router guide. **Note:**After resetting the Huawei E5186s-a router your username and password revert back to factory defaults.
Step 3 - Find The Port Forwarding Section
After successfully logging in to your Huawei E5186s-a router you should see the router's home page on your screen. Find the Virtual Server section of your router.
- Click on the Settings tab, which is at the top of the screen.
- Click the Security tab at the left of the screen.
- Click the Virtual Server tab at the left of the screen.
You should now be on a page called Virtual Server.
Step 4 - Create A Port Forward Entry
Opening a port to a specific device may solve problems that you are having on your network. Make sure that it is necessary though, before opening a port, because you are effectively creating a pinhole in the firewall portion of your router that could lead to malicious traffic on your network. The risk is exceedingly low, though, so don't let this warning stop you from making this change if you need it.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Click the Add button.
- Put a name for this forward in the Name box so that you can remember why you set this forward up. The name does not matter, so pick something that has meaning to you.
- To forward a single port, enter the port number into the WAN Port box.
- You need to enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to into the LAN IP Address box. This can be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
- In the LAN Port box, enter the same value that you entered into the WAN Port box.
- Use the Protocol dropdown box to select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding. If your router has the option of Both, then choose that. Otherwise, choose either TCP or UDP as needed. If you need to forward a port for both TCP and UDP and your router does not have Both, then you have to create two entries.
- Select On from the Status drop-down box.
- Remember to click the Apply button at the bottom of the page to apply these changes when you are completely finished.
This router only allows you to forward a single port per entry. If you need to forward a large range of ports, then you can use the DMZ feature to forward all ports to a single device instead.
- The DMZ Settings page can be found by first clicking on the Settings tab at the top of the screen.
- Next, click on the Security tab on the left of the screen.
- Finally click on the DMZ Settings tab on the left.
- Select Enable for the DMZ status.
- In the DMZ IP address box enter the LAN IP Address of the device that you wish to forward ports to.
Test Your Ports To See If They Are Open
Use our Network Utilities software, (which includes a free Open Port Checker tool) to test your network to see if you have forwarded ports in the Huawei E5186s-a router correctly. Open Port Checker is the only online port checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
More Guides To Check Out: