A Linksys CG7500 router contains a basic firewall to help protect your home network. A Firewall blocks incoming connections by nature. Sometimes you need to unblock some of these connections so you can run a game or application. This is called opening a port or port forwarding. Port forwarding is literally forwarding a port from the internet to your home network.
To open ports in your Linksys CG7500 router, follow the steps below:
- Set up a static IP address on the computer or device that you are forwarding ports to.
- Log in to your Linksys CG7500 router.
- Make your way to the Port Forwarding section of the Linksys CG7500 router.
- Click the Applications & Gaming tab, which is at the top of the screen.
- Find the Port Range Forwarding link at the middle of the screen and click on it.
- Go ahead and create a Port Forwarding entry.
If this sounds difficult, you are not alone. We will walk you through each step in opening a port for the Linksys CG7500 router.
Step 1 - Setup A Static IP Address
In order to ensure that your ports remain open in your device even after it reboots, it is important to set up a static IP address in your device.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
Ã¢ÂÂ Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Step 2 - Login To Your Linksys Router
Log in to your Linksys CG7500 router. To log in you will need to use a web browser since the Linksys CG7500 uses a web interface to access router configurations.
Open up whichever internet browser that you are comfortable with. If you are not sure which one to use, then go ahead and open Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.
To help with confusion, we have simplified this step for you with this link: Login to your CG7500 Router
Once you have opened a web browser, find the address bar which is usually located at the top of the screen. The image below shows an example of this.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The Linksys CG7500 router's default IP address is: 192.168.0.1
Once you have finished entering your router's IP address into the address bar, click the enter button on your keyboard. A box similar to the one below should appear.
To login, enter the username and password for the Linksys CG7500s. Important Note: If you have changed them in the past, you need to enter in those values.
- The default Linksys CG7500 Router Username is: blank
- The default Linksys CG7500 Router Password is: admin
Once you enter your username and password, click the Login button.
Linksys Usernames and Passwords
If the username and password did not work, go to our Default Linksys Router Passwords page for help.
If, after trying the above list of passwords you still can't log in you may need to consider a reset for your router. Learn how to do that by reading our How to Reset a Router guide. **Note:**After resetting the Linksys CG7500 router your username and password revert back to factory defaults.
Step 3 - Find The Port Forwarding Section
You should be on your routers home page once you complete logging in. Find the Port Forwarding section on the home page of the Linksys CG7500 router.
- Find the Applications & Gaming tab at the top of the screen and click on it.
- Click the Port Range Forwarding link, which is at the middle of the screen.
You should now be on a page that says Port Forwarding.
Step 4 - Create A Port Forward Entry
Forwarding ports in your router creates a path that allows data to get through your network firewall, and this could lead to malicious traffic on your network. So make sure that you must forward a port before actually doing so. However, the risk is very low, so do not let this warning stop you from making this change if you need to.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Make up a name to put in the Application Name box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward; it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
- To forward a single port, enter the port number into the Start Port and the End Port boxes. To forward a range of ports, enter the lowest number in the range into the Start Port box. Then enter the highest number in the range into the End Port box.
- Select Both from the Protocol drop-down box.
- Enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to into the To IP Address box. It is possible to forward a port to the IP address of your computer or to the IP address of a specific device on your internal network.
- Put a check in the Enabled box.
- Make sure to click the Save Settings button at the bottom of the page to apply these changes, when you are completely finished.
Test Your Open Ports
Finally, test your network to see if you have forwarded ports in the Linksys CG7500 router correctly. To do this you can use Network Utilities, which includes a free Open Port Checker tool. Open Port Checker is the only online port-checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
Check Out These Helpful Guides: