Your Linksys E8400 router protects your home network by limiting incoming connections from the internet. Sometimes it is necessary to unblock some of those connections like when you want to create a direct connection for gaming, use a specific application, or set up a new device on your network. This process is called forwarding or opening a port. In your Linksys E8400 router you many need to open a port, which means assigning a port number or set of port numbers to a specific IP address. This routes the incoming data to the correct device on your network.
To open ports in your Linksys E8400 router, follow the steps below:
- On the computer or device that you are forwarding ports to, you will need to set up a static IP address.
- Go ahead and log in to your Linksys E8400 router.
- Make your way to the Port Forwarding section of the Linksys E8400 router.
- Find the Applications & Gaming tab at the top of the screen and click it.
- Click the Port Range Forwarding link, which is at the middle of the screen.
- Create a Port Forwarding entry.
The process of opening ports in your router may seem like a difficult task. If so, you are not alone! We are here to help walk you through the steps to open a port in the Linksys E8400 router.
Step 1 - Setup A Static IP Address
In order to keep the ports in your router open, even after a reboot or disconnect, it is important to set up a static IP address in the device that you are forwarding a port to.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
â Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Step 2 - Login To Your Linksys Router
The Linksys E8400 router uses a web interface to display router settings. In order to login to the Linksys E8400 router you need to use a web browser.
Open your favorite web browser. If you don't have a favorite or are not sure what this means, open up Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. If you are already in a browser window, go ahead and open up a new tab.
We have simplified this step for you with this link: Login to your E8400 Router
Find the address bar in your browser window. This is usually found at the top of the page, like in the image below.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The Linksys E8400 router's default IP address is: 192.168.1.1
Enter your router's IP address into the address bar of your browser and click the enter button on your keyboard. A box like the one below should appear.
To login, enter the username and password for the Linksys E8400s. Important Note: If you have changed them in the past, you need to enter in those values.
- The default Linksys E8400 Router Username is: admin
- The default Linksys E8400 Router Password is: admin
Once you enter your username and password, click the Login button.
Linksys Usernames and Passwords
If the username and password did not work, go to our Default Linksys Router Passwords page for help.
If, after trying the above list of passwords you still can't log in you may need to consider a reset for your router. Learn how to do that by reading our How to Reset a Router guide. **Note:**After resetting the Linksys E8400 router your username and password revert back to factory defaults.
Step 3 - Find The Port Forwarding Section
After successfully logging in to your Linksys E8400 router you should see the router's home page on your screen. Find the Port Forwarding section of your router.
- Click the Applications & Gaming tab at the top of the screen.
- Find the Port Range Forwarding link at the middle of the screen and click it.
You should now be on a page that says Port Forwarding.
Step 4 - Create A Port Forward Entry
Make sure that you must open a port in your router before doing so since this will allow data to come through the firewall portion of your router to a specific device. It is possible that this could lead to malicious traffic on your network. However, don't let this warning stop you from making this change if you need it because the risk is very low.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Type in a name for this forward in the Application Name box. Choose a name that will help you remember why this forward was set up since it does not affect the functionality of the forward.
- If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into the Start Port and the End Port boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the Start Port box. Then enter the highest number of that range into the End Port box.
- Select Both from the Protocol drop-down box.
- Enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to into the To IP Address box. It is possible to forward a port to the IP address of your computer or to the IP address of a specific device on your internal network.
- Check Enabled.
- Remember to click the Save Settings button at the bottom of the page to apply these changes when you are completely finished.
Test If Your Ports Are Open
Finally, I strongly recommend testing to see if you forwarded the Linksys E8400 ports correctly. To do this you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Open Port Checker is the only online port checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
More Guides To Check Out: