An important aspect of having a Linksys router on your home network is internet security. In general, routers block incoming internet connections and protect your network by only allowing the connections that you specifically set up. Sometimes it is necessary to unblock certain connections in your router or open a port in order to play a game or use an application. To help you get a better connection for gaming or using an application, you can open a port in your WRT160N-HP and allow a direct connection.
To open ports in your Linksys WRT160N-HP router, follow the steps below:
- Set up a static IP address on the computer or device that you are forwarding ports to.
- Login to your Linksys WRT160N-HP router.
- Find the Port Forwarding section in your Linksys WRT160N-HP router.
- Click the Applications & Gaming tab at the top of the screen.
- Click on the Port Range Forwarding link at the middle of the screen.
- Create a Port Forwarding entry.
Opening ports in a router can be a difficult process the first few times. Don't get discouraged! We will walk you through all the steps to open a port in the Linksys WRT160N-HP router.
Step 1 - Setup A Static IP Address
In order to ensure that your ports remain open in your device even after it reboots, it is important to set up a static IP address in your device.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
Ã¢ÂÂ Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Step 2 - Login To Your Linksys Router
Log in to your Linksys WRT160N-HP router. To log in you will need to use a web browser since the Linksys WRT160N-HP uses a web interface to access router configurations.
Open up whichever internet browser that you are comfortable with. If you are not sure which one to use, then go ahead and open Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.
To help with confusion, we have simplified this step for you with this link: Login to your WRT160N-HP Router
Once you have opened a web browser, find the address bar which is usually located at the top of the screen. The image below shows an example of this.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The Linksys WRT160N-HP router's default IP address is: 192.168.1.1
Once you have finished entering your router's IP address into the address bar, click the enter button on your keyboard. A box similar to the one below should appear.
Enter the username and password for your Linksys WRT160N-HP router. Note: If you have changed these numbers in the past, you will need to enter in the those values.
- The default Linksys WRT160N-HP Router Username is: blank
- The default Linksys WRT160N-HP Router Password is: admin
Once you have entered your username and password, remember to click the Login button to login to your Linksys WRT160N-HP router.
Linksys Usernames and Passwords
If the username and password did not work I recommend checking out our Default Linksys Router Passwords page.
If, after trying the above list of passwords you still can't login you may need to consider a reset for your router. Learn how to do that by reading our How to Reset a Router guide. After resetting the Linksys WRT160N-HP router your username and password are reverted back to factory defaults.
Step 3 - Find The Port Forwarding Section
You should be on the home page of your Linksys WRT160N-HP router once you have successfully logged in. Find the Port Forwarding section of your router.
- Click the Applications & Gaming tab, which is at the top of the screen.
- Click on the Port Range Forwarding link, which is at the middle of the screen.
You should now be on a page called Port Forwarding.
Step 4 - Create A Port Forward Entry
Make sure that you must open a port in your router before doing so since this will allow data to come through the firewall portion of your router to a specific device. It is possible that this could lead to malicious traffic on your network. However, don't let this warning stop you from making this change if you need it because the risk is very low.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Create a name for this forward and type it into the Application Name box. Since the name does not have an effect on the functionality of the forward, choose a name that will help you remember why the forward was created.
- Enter the port number into the Start Port and the End Port boxes to forward a single port. If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the Start Port box and then enter the highest number of that range into the End Port box.
- Make the Both selection in the Protocol drop-down list.
- Go ahead and enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to into the To IP Address box. It is possible for this to be either the IP address of your computer or of any other device on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
- Make sure that the box called Enabled is checked.
- To apply these changes, remember to click the Save Settings button at the bottom of the page when you are completely finished.
Test Your Ports To See If They Are Open
Use our Network Utilities software, (which includes a free Open Port Checker tool) to test your network to see if you have forwarded ports in the Linksys WRT160N-HP router correctly. Open Port Checker is the only online port checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
More Guides To Check Out: