Simple Netgear Orbi RBK50 Router Port Forwarding Steps
Your Netgear Orbi RBK50 router has a firewall that blocks unwanted Internet access. Sometimes a game or app will run smoother if you unblock some of these connections. This process of unblocking connections is called a port forward because you forward a port (connection) through the firewall to a specific device on your local network.
In this guide we will show you how to forward a port through your firewall. We will walk you through each of the steps:
- How to Setup a Static IP address on the device you want to forward these ports to.
- How to Login to the Netgear Orbi RBK50 router.
- How to find the port forwarding section of the router.
- How to create a port forward entry.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
- → Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
In this step we will walk you through how to login to the Netgear Orbi RBK50 router. To do this you need to open up a web browser. It shouldn't matter which web browser you decide to use. A web browser such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox, or Internet Explorer should work just fine.
After you have opened up the web browser, simply find the address bar. This is typically at the top of the page like this:
We have circled the address bar for you in the image above. Simply replace what is in this bar with the router's IP address (also called the Default Gateway).
If you have changed the router's IP address in the past, then you need to enter that IP address. If you don't remember what you changed it to, then you need to follow the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
By default your Netgear Orbi RBK50 router has an IP address of: 192.168.1.1
Now that you have entered the correct IP address into the address bar, click the Enter key on your keyboard. This should give you an authentication page:
In this login window, you need to enter the router's username and password. (This is NOT the WiFi username and password)
- The Default Netgear Orbi RBK50 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Netgear Orbi RBK50 Router Password is: password
After entering the proper username and password, press the OK button to access the router's web interface.
This is a fairly common place to get stuck. Here are a few things you can try:
- First, you can try other common Netgear usernames and passwords. If you have a slightly different firmware version, it is possible you have a different username and password as well. Here is our list of Default Netgear Router Passwords.
- If that did not work it is because you have changed the username and password in the past and have forgotten what you changed it to. In this case it is a good idea to try and guess what you changed it to. In order for us to help we have a Find Password App that automates the process of guessing thousands of different combinations for you. Learn more about this on our Router Password Finder page.
- Finally, if nothing else has helped it is probably time to consider a factory reset. A reset like this one erases every single setting you have ever changed in the past. We strongly recommend trying other options before deciding to reset the router. Learn how to reset your router on this How to Reset a Router page.
To find the port forwarding page, we need to start on the following page:
This is the Basic Home page.
First, select the tab at the top of the page labeled ADVANCED.
On this new Advanced Home page, look in the left sidebar. Click the link labeled Advanced Setup.
Then select the new option under that labeled Port Forwarding/Port Triggering.
You should now see a page like the one seen above. On this new page, click the radio button labeled Port Forwarding. Then choose ADD CUSTOM SERVICE in the center section of the page.
You are now on the correct page to make a port forward entry.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Put a name for this forward in the Service Name box so that you can remember why you set this forward up. The name does not matter so pick something that has meaning to you.
From the Protocol box select the protocol for the ports that you want to forward.
In the External port range box type the ports to forward.
Your ports can be entered as a list 23,24,25, a range 500-600, or a combination of both 23,45,500-600.
Make sure that the Use the same port range for Internal port checkbox is checked.
Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to in the Internal IP address box. You can enter either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another computer or device on your network.
When you are finished, click the blue Apply button to save your changes.
Test Your Ports
It is a very good idea to check your ports after you have forwarded them. One way to do this is to use our Open Port Checker. This is part of our free trial version of the Network Utilities. Our port checker uses a local application to listen for the server trying to connect. This way we can guarantee whether or not your ports are forwarded or not.
If you still have questions about port forwarding, please check out our forum. There is a very good chance your question has already been asked. If you have a new question for us, we are more than happy to answer any port forwarding questions you have.
Check out more of our guides here.