Use this guide to help you port forward the Technicolor TG582n router.
There are lots of different reasons you may need to port forward a game or application:
- game or application crashes when online
- trouble playing with friends
- game or application lags
- continually disconnects when online
Does any of this sound familiar? If it does you should definitely consider a port forward. A port forward takes a port or group of ports and forwards them through your firewall directly to a device on your local home network.
We will walk you through each of the following steps:
- Setting up a Static IP address on the exact device you plan on forwarding these ports to
- Logging into your Technicolor TG582n router.
- How to find the port forwarding section in your router.
- Click the Toolbox button.
- Click the Game & Application Sharing link.
- Click the Create a new game or application link.
- Enter a name in the Name box.
- Click the Manual Entry of Port Maps radio button.
- Click the Next button.
- Exactly what information needs to be inputted into your router to create a port forward.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
When logging into your Technicolor TG582n router you need to open a web browser. It doesn't matter which one you pick, just pick the one you used to find this website if you want.
Here are some common web browsers:
- Internet Explorer
Simply open the browser of your choice and find the address bar. It is normally located at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Technicolor TG582n IP Address is: 192.168.1.254 After entering the proper IP address or default gateway into the address bar, click the Enter key. You should be taken to the Login page of your router's web interface.
If you have not changed the router's password in the past, you can find it on the router's label. If you have changed the router's password in the past, enter that password in the appropriate box.
Trouble Logging In?
If you are unable to get past the login screen there are a couple things you can try:
- If the default password found on the router's label did not work, then it is because you have changed it in the past and have forgotten what you changed it to. We recommend using our Find Password App to help figure out what you changed the password to. Learn more about this on our Router Password Cracker page.
- If the password cracker did not work, it might be time to consider a reset. A factory reset like this one erases all personal changes you have ever made to the router. We do not recommend this course of action until you have exhausted all other troubleshooting possibilities. leran more about resetting a router on this How to Reset a Router page.
After you have finished logging into the Technicolor TG582n router it is time to find the router's port forwarding section. We start on the Home page:
Click the Toolbox link in the left sidebar.
Do you see the new set of choices that appeared? Click the new option of Game & Application Sharing in the left sidebar.
You should now see an image similar to the one above. Select the blue link near the bottom of the page labeled Create a new game or application.
On this new page, enter the name of the program you are forwarding these ports for in the box labeled Name. It doesn't really matter what you enter in this box, it could be anything, but we recommend entering something that reminds you why you forwarded these ports.
Then put a dot in the radio button labeled Manual Entry of Port Maps.
Finally, click the Next button at the bottom of the page.
If you have arrived at the page you see above, you are in the right place to create a port forward.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Browsing our List of Games
- Check out our our List of Games by Genre
- See our List of all Applications
In the Protocol box select the protocol that you want to forward these ports over.
If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into the Translate To, Top Port Range and the Bottom Port Range boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the Translate To, Top Port Range box. Then enter the highest number of that range into the Bottom Port Range box.
When you are finished, click the Add button.
Now, click the blue Assign a game or application to a local network device link near the bottom of the page.
Using the Game or Application drop down list, pick the name you created earlier from the drop down list.
Now, use the Device drop down box to pick the device you want to forward these ports to. (This should be the device you setup a Static IP address for in step 1.)
Finally, click Add to enable your port forward.
That's it, you just forwarded a port.
How to Tell if Your Ports Opened
After you have finished forwarding the ports on the Technicolor TG582n router you need to test them to see if they forwarded like they were suppose to.
To test your ports we recommend using our Open Port Checker in our Network Utilities free trial. Our port checker uses a local application to listen for your ports. This way we can confirm that your port is forwarded.
Check out some of our other guides here.
For more information on setting up a router check these guides out on our Setuprouter.com website.