The Thomson DWG855 router has a firewall to protect your home network from unwanted Internet activity. The firewall works by blocking incoming connections that you may need opened for online gaming and applications. You may need to open a port to allow Internet access to these applications. This is typically called a port forward.
Use this guide to help you get your ports forwarded on the Thomson DWG855 router. The steps we will be covering in this guide are:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the Thomson DWG855 router web interface.
- How to find the port forwarding page in the router's web interface.
- How to setup a port forward for the online game or program of your choice.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Another highly recommended way of getting a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP Reservation.
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
With DHCP reservations you can manage your devices from your router. This centralizes the management of your network and helps prevent IP address conflicts. Using this method you do not have to log in to your devices separately.
It is time to login to the Thomson DWG855 router. This router uses a web interface meaning you need to login using a web browser. It normally doesn't matter which browser you decide to use, simply pick your favorite such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome.
Open up your web browser and find the address bar. It should look something like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Thomson DWG855 IP Address is: 192.168.0.1
After entering the IP address of your router you can simply press enter. If all goes well you will see the following screen:
You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. If you don't see a login screen at this point you need to find out what your router's IP address is. To do this we have made a guide titled How To Find Your Router's IP Address
- The Default Thomson DWG855 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Thomson DWG855 Router Password is: password
Enter your username and password, and then click the OK or Login button to log in to your Thomson DWG855 router.
This is a common place to get stuck. If you find yourself here, there are a few things you can try:
- First, check all the different Thomson default combinations. Here is our list of all known Default Thomson Router Passwords.
- Second, try and guess what the password/username was changed to. Use our Find Password App to make this step easier.
- Finally, if you still are stuck after trying both of the above options, it may be time to consider a factory reset. Learn more about this option on the How to Reset a Router page.
It is now time to find the port forwarding section of your router interface. To help you with that we begin on the Status page:
Click the Advanced option at the top of the page.
The menu on the left should change. Pick the option of Forwarding.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the Local IP Adr box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into the Start Port and the End Port
boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the Start Port box. Then enter the highest number of that range into the End Port
Use the Protocol dropdown box to select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding.
Make sure that the Enabled checkbox is checked.
When you're finished, click Apply at the bottom of the screen to save your changes.
Test if Your Ports are Open
Now that you have forwarded ports on the Thomson DWG855 you should test to see if your ports are forwarded correctly.
To test if your port has been properly forwarded, you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Our Open Port Check tool is the only online port checking tool with Guaranteed Results.
Check out our other guides here. We have a growing list of free gaming, networking, and software guides here at portforward.com.
Our other site setuprouter.com can help you setup a secure home network with your exact router.