The following ports need to be forwarded for Wii U:
Wii U - Default
- TCP: 6667, 12400, 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920
- UDP: 1-65535
Forward Ports for Wii U
When you use Wii U you might need to forward some ports in your router. A port forward allows incoming connection requests from the internet to go straight to Wii U.
Routers generally do not allow incoming connection requests from the internet. By forwarding ports you can work around this limitation.
Remember to Do These Things Before You Forward a Port
Before forwarding a port make sure that you know these things:
- Your router's internal IP address.
- Your computer's internal IP address.
- The list of the TCP and UDP ports that you need to forward.
Locate Your Router's IP Address
To find your router's IP address the easy way you can use our free Router Detector software. It's a part of the Network Utilities suite of tools and it's completely free to use.
You can also follow our Find Your Router IP Address article.
Setting Up a Port Forward for Wii U
You can use our Network Utilities software to automatically forward ports for you. Since Network Utilities allows you to both forward and un-forward ports easily you can keep your network security maximized, and then forward ports only when you need them.
You can also choose to set up port forwards manually. The normal process for forwarding a port is:
- You can start by logging in to your router.
- Locate the section in your router that deals with port forwarding.
- Type the IP address of your computer into the correct box in your router.
- It is now time to type the TCP and UDP ports that you are forwarding for Wii U in the correct boxes in your router.
Usually you have to reboot your router in order to save the changes.
You can choose your router from our list to see exactly how to forward ports for Wii U:
List of Routers - Customized for Wii U
That's all it takes to forward your ports for Wii U.