This ZTE Hyperoptic ZXHN H298N router has a very basic firewall that helps to keep your home network safe from unwanted Internet activity. This basic firewall works by simply blocking all connections that have not be authorized. In order to allow additional connections through the firewall for an online application or game you need to create a port forward.
In this guide I will be walking you through each of the following steps:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the ZTE Hyperoptic ZXHN H298N router web interface.
- How to find the port forwarding page in the router's web interface.
- How to setup a port forward for the online game or program of your choice.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Another highly recommended way of getting a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP Reservation.
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
With DHCP reservations you can manage your devices from your router. This centralizes the management of your network and helps prevent IP address conflicts. Using this method you do not have to log in to your devices separately.
TIP: Write this static IP address down. You need it in Step 4.
In this second step we will be logging into the ZTE Hyperoptic ZXHN H298N router interface. To do this you need to open a web browser such as Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, or Firefox.
Once you have opened the browser of your choice, find the address bar. This is normally at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default ZTE ZXHN H298N IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
After you enter the router's IP address, click the Enter button. If you are not given a login box like the one shown below, you need to find out if you entered the correct IP address. To find out, follow the directions on our How To Find Your Router's IP Address guide.
Once you have found the login page like the one shown above, simply enter the router's login information and press the Login button to access the router interface.
- The Default ZTE ZXHN H298N Router Username is: admin
- The Default ZTE ZXHN H298N Router Password is: password
This is a pretty common place to get stuck. If you find yourself here, don't panic, there are a few things you can try:
- First, check all the different ZTE default combinations. Here is our list of all known Default ZTE Router Passwords.
- Second, try and guess what the password/username was changed to. Use our Find Password App to make this step easier.
- Finally, if you still are stuck after trying both of the above options, it may be time to consider a factory reset. Learn more about this option on the How to Reset a Router page.
Now that you have logged into the ZTE Hyperoptic ZXHN H298N router you need to find the port forwarding page. To help you find this, we begin on the Device Information page.
Begin by clicking the Application option in the left sidebar.
This opens up more options beneath that. Select the option of NatLoop and Port Forwarding.
You are now on the correct page to make a port forward.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Verify that you have the Enable checkbox checked.
Put a name for this forward in the Name box so that you can remember why you set this forward up. The name does not matter so pick something that has meaning to you.
From the Protocol box select the protocol for the ports that you want to forward.
Leave the Remote Host box blank.
In the WAN Connection dropdown box select an available connection.
If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of the range into the WAN Start Port and LAN Host Start Port boxes. Then enter the highest number of the range into the WAN End Port and LAN Host End Port boxes. If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into the WAN Start Port, WAN End Port, LAN Host Start Port and LAN Host End Port boxes.
Enter the IP address of the device that you want to forward ports to into the LAN Host IP Address box. This can be either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another device on your network.
Click the Add button when you are finished.
Don't forget to click the Add button after each port is entered.
Test Your Ports
Are your the ports you just forwarded really open? An easy way to find out is use our free Open Port Checker. It uses a local application to see if the ports are open or not. This guarantees our port checkers accuracy.
Check out our other guides here. We have a growing list of free gaming, networking, and software guides here at portforward.com.
Our other site setuprouter.com can help you setup a secure home network with your exact router.