Your Asus DSL-N12HP router protects your home network by limiting incoming connections from the internet. Sometimes it is necessary to unblock some of those connections like when you want to create a direct connection for gaming, use a specific application, or set up a new device on your network. This process is called forwarding or opening a port. In your Asus DSL-N12HP router you many need to open a port, which means assigning a port number or set of port numbers to a specific IP address. This routes the incoming data to the correct device on your network.
Follow these steps to open a port in your Asus DSL-N12HP router:
- Set up a static IP address on the computer or device that you are forwarding ports to.
- Log in to your Asus DSL-N12HP router.
- Find the NAT Virtual Servers Setup section in your Asus DSL-N12HP router.
- Click on the Advanced Setup tab, which is at the left of the screen.
- Click the NAT tab, which is at the top of the screen.
- Go ahead and create a NAT Virtual Servers Setup entry.
If the process of forwarding ports in your router seems difficult to you, you are not alone! Do not get discouraged. Let us walk you through the steps for opening a port in the Asus DSL-N12HP router. Just follow along as we lead you through the process of opening a port in your router.
Step 1 - Setup A Static IP Address
It is important to set up a static IP address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports remain forwarded even after a reboot, power outage, or another type of device or router disconnect.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
Ã¢ÂÂ Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Step 2 - Login To Your Asus Router
Log in to the Asus DSL-N12HP router. To do this you need to use a web browser because the Asus DSL-N12HP router uses what is called a web interface.
It normally doesn't matter what web browser you use so go ahead and open up your favorite. If you don't have a favorite then open up Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.
If that is confusing to you, we have simplified this step with this link: Login to your DSL-N12HP Router
Once you have opened up a browser window, find the address bar. This is usually at the top of the page like the image below shows.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The default IP address for the Asus DSL-N12HP router is: 192.168.1.1
Once you have entered your router's IP address in the address bar go ahead and click the enter button on your keyboard. You should see a box like the one shown below.
Enter the username and password for the Asus DSL-N12HP in the corresponding boxes. Important Note: If you have changed them in the past, you need to enter in those values.
- The default Asus DSL-N12HP Router Username is: admin
- The default Asus DSL-N12HP Router Password is: admin
To log in to your Asus DSL-N12HP router, enter your username and password, and then click the Log In button.
Asus Usernames and Passwords
If the username and password did not work, go to our Default Asus Router Passwords page for help.
If, after trying the above list of passwords you still can't log in you may need to consider a reset for your router. Learn how to do that by reading our How to Reset a Router guide. **Note:**After resetting the Asus DSL-N12HP router your username and password revert back to factory defaults.
Step 3 - Find The Port Forwarding Section
You should be on the home page of your Asus DSL-N12HP router once you have successfully logged in. Find the NAT Virtual Servers Setup section of your router.
- Find the Advanced Setup tab at the left of the screen and click it.
- Find the NAT tab at the top of the screen and click it.
You should now be on a page called NAT Virtual Servers Setup.
Step 4 - Create A Port Forward Entry
Opening a port to a specific device may solve problems that you are having on your network. Make sure that it is necessary though, before opening a port, because you are effectively creating a pinhole in the firewall portion of your router that could lead to malicious traffic on your network. The risk is exceedingly low, though, so don't let this warning stop you from making this change if you need it.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Select Virtual Servers from the NAT Configuration drop down box.
- Click Add.
- Make up a name to put in the Server Name box. The name does not have any effect on the functionality of the forward; it's simply there so you can know why it was created.
- Go ahead and enter the port number into the External Port Start and the External Port End boxes, to forward a single port. To forward a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the External Port Start box and then enter the highest number of that range into the External Port End box.
- Select the protocol type of the ports that you are forwarding from the Protocol dropdown box. If your router has the option of Both, then go ahead and select that. Otherwise, select either TCP or UDP as needed. If you need to forward a port for both TCP and UDP, but your router does not have Both, then you will need to create two entries.
- Enter the exact same values that you put in the External Port Start box, into the Internal Port Start box.
- In the Internal Port End box, enter the same values that you entered into the External Port End box.
- You need to enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to into the Server IP Address box. This can be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
- Click the button to apply or save changes.
Test Your Open Ports
Finally, test your network to see if you have forwarded ports in the Asus DSL-N12HP router correctly. To do this you can use Network Utilities, which includes a free Open Port Checker tool. Open Port Checker is the only online port-checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
More Guides To Check Out: