Your Asus RT-AC1200HP router uses a firewall to help protect your home network from potential threats coming from the Internet. It does this by blocking incoming and outgoing connections that are not authorized. This is why sometimes when you play an online game or use an online application it doesn't run as smoothly as it should. Some of the connections may be being blocked by your firewall. To fix this annoying problem you need to open the game or application's ports. This is called a port forward.
In this guide we will be showing you how to create a port forward on the Asus RT-AC1200HP router. We will walk you through each of the following steps:
- First we will show you how to setup a static IP address on the device you are forwarding ports to.
- Then we show you how to login to the Asus RT-AC1200HP router.
- Once you are logged in, we show you how to navigate to the port forwarding section of the router.
- Finally, we show you how to configure the router so you get the ports you want forwarded.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Another highly recommended way of getting a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP Reservation.
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
With DHCP reservations you can manage your devices from your router. This centralizes the management of your network and helps prevent IP address conflicts. Using this method you do not have to log in to your devices separately.
It is now time to login to the Asus RT-AC1200HP router. Your router uses a web interface which means you need to login to the Asus RT-AC1200HP using a web browser. It should not matter which browser you decide to use, I recommend picking your favorite. Some of the more common web browsers are: Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Edge.
After picking the web browser, open it up and find the address bar. Typically you can find the address bar at the top of the page like so:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Asus RT-AC1200HP IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
If this address does not work or if you have changed the router's IP address in the past and don't remember what you changed it to, follow the directions on this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
Once you have entered the router's IP address into the address bar, just click the Enter key on your keyboard. This should open up a window like this:
Go ahead and enter the username and password associated with the router's graphical interface. A lot of times when setting up a router the setup instructions has you change this for security reasons. Once you have entered the values in the boxes available, click the blue Sign in button.
- The Default Asus RT-AC1200HP Router Username is: admin
- The Default Asus RT-AC1200HP Router Password is: password
This is a very common place to get stuck when accessing a router. Here are a few things you can try:
- First, we strongly recommend trying other Asus usernames and passwords. If you have a different firmware version, you could also have a different username and password. Here is our list of Default Asus Router Passwords.
- If that did not work, it is because you changed the username and password in the past and don't remember what you changed it to. Why not try to guess what you changed it to? We recommend using our Find Password App to help. This app automates the process of guessing thousands of different combinations for you. Learn all about it on this Router Password Cracker page.
- Finally if both the above ideas do not work it might be time to consider a factory reset. A reset like this is a big step and should not be taken lightly. Everything you have ever changed in the past is erased. Learn more about resetting the Asus RT-AC1200HP router on this How to Reset a Router page.
You should now be logged into the Asus RT-AC1200HP router. In order to help you find the port forwarding section we will begin on the first page of the router. This is the Network Map.
On this page, click the link in the left sidebar labeled WAN. This is located near the bottom under the heading of Advanced Settings.
Now take a look at the top of the page. Do you see the tabs at the top? Click the one titled Virtual Server/Port Forwarding.
The screenshot you see above is where you need to end up. On this page, be sure to click Yes next to Enable Port Forwarding.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Enter the name of the program into the Service Name box. It doesn't really matter what you put into this box, but something that will remind you why these ports are being forwarded is be a good idea.
Enter the ports to forward into the Port Range box.
The ports can be entered as a list 23,24,25, a range 500-600, or a combination of both 23,45,500-600.
Enter the IP address of the device that you want to forward ports to into the Local IP box. This can be either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another device on your network.
The protocol that you want to forward is selected from the Protocol box.
When you are all done click the + button.
When you are finished, click the Apply button to save your changes.
Are Your Ports Open
It is always a good idea to check your work. You need to be sure the ports you just forwarded did so correctly. We recommend using our Open Port Checker. It's free and part of our trial version of the Network Utilities. Our port checker is better than the others you find online because we use a local application to see if the ports are open or not. This guarantees a open port verification.
Don't forget to check out our growing number of free guides. From networking to gaming, portforward.com is your information source.
Are you looking for guides about setting up your router? Learn how to setup up your wireless network, how to change a channel, how to change the router's IP address, ect... on setuprouter.com