All D-Link DIR-822 routers have a basic firewall that protects your home network from unwanted Internet access. The firewall works by blocking all incoming and outgoing connections that are not authorized. This allows you to access the Internet with no problems, but some online gaming or programs will run much smoother if additional connections (ports) are allowed through the firewall. In order to allow more connections through the firewall you need to create a port forward for the specific device or console you are wanting to run the program or game on.
In this guide I will show you how to port forward on the D-Link DIR-822 router. The steps I will walk you through are:
- How to setup a static IP address on the device or console you are forwarding these ports to.
- How to login to the D-Link DIR-822 router.
- How to find the port forwarding section in the router interface.
- How to make a port forward on the D-Link DIR-822 router.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
TIP: You need this static IP address a little later in the guide, so go ahead and write it down.
Now that you have made a static IP address for the device you are forwarding these ports to, it is time to login to the D-Link DIR-822 router. To do this you need to open a web browser because the D-Link routers use a web interface to make router setting changes.
It doesn't usually matter which browser you decide to use, we recommend using one that you are familiar with such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, or Firefox.
Open up the web browser you chose and find the address bar. The address bar should be at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default D-Link DIR-822 IP Address is: 192.168.0.1
After you have entered the router's IP address into the address bar of your web browser, click the Enter key on your keyboard. If the correct IP address was entered you will see a login page similar to the one here:
If you don't see a page asking for a username and password, you have entered the incorrect IP address. To find out what the correct IP address is, follow the directions on our How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
On the login page you need to enter the router's login username and password. (This is NOT the WiFi username and password.)
- The Default D-Link DIR-822 Router Username is: admin
- The Default D-Link DIR-822 Router Password is: password
This is a common place for people to get stuck when logging into the D-Link DIR-822 router. Here are a few options you can try:
- Try other default D-Link username/password combinations. Please visit our Default D-Link Router Passwords page.
- During initial configuration, most router's encourage you to change the username and password because they are so insecure. Try guessing what you may of changed it to. If you need a little extra help with the guessing process, try our Find Password App.
- If you still can't login to the D-Link DIR-822 router you may need to consider a factory reset. A factory reset comes with it's own set of problems however and should always be considered after you have tried everything else first. A full reconfiguration of the router will need to be done afterwards. To learn the basics of resetting a router back to factory defaults, check out this How to Reset a Router Password guide.
You should now be logged into the D-Link DIR-822 router. To help you with this process we will begin on the Device Info page.
From the Device Info page, click the ADVANCED option at the top of the page.
Now look in the left sidebar and select the option of PORT FORWARDING.
You are now on the correct page of the router interface to make a port forward entry.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Browsing our List of Games
- Check out our our List of Games by Genre
- See our List of all Applications
In the Enable checkbox put a checkmark.
Put a name for this forward in the Name box so that you can remember why you set this forward up. The name does not matter so pick something that has meaning to you.
You need to enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to in the IP Address box. It's possible for this to be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
In the TCP and UDP box enter the ports to forward.
You can ports can be entered as a list 23,24,25, a range 500-600, or a combination of both 23,45,500-600.
In the Schedule dropdown box choose Always.
From the Inbound Filter dropdown box select Allow All.
When you are finished, be sure to click the Save Settings option at the top of the page.
Test if Your Ports are Open
Now that you have forwarded ports on the D-Link DIR-822 you should test to see if your ports are forwarded correctly.
To test if your port has been properly forwarded, you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Our Open Port Check tool is the only online port checking tool with Guaranteed Results.
Check out our other guide topics here. We have networking, software, and gaming guides.
More at setuprouter.com