Port Forwarding on Your Router for Elite Dangerous
Elite Dangerous includes the following styles of play.
- Flight games are similar to car driving games in that you are usually in the cockpit of a plane or helicopter. They can also be from the view of a chase camera. Some flight games are atmospheric and some are space based.
- Action games are usually a bit faster than other games and require quick reflexes. You frequently jump platforms, shoot enemy mobs, climb ladders, and
- In a simulation game the primary goal is to simulate a real life situation either for education or entertainment. Simulation games have a huge vareity of types including sports, driving, flying, and dating. Some of the most popular sims of all time are SimCity and Madden NFL.
- Role-Playing Games give you hours on end of game play where you can explore a new world through the eyes of your own character. They tend to be the longest style of game with the most immersive story lines. Popular RPG titles include Skyrim, World of Warcraft, and Fallout.
- Strategy games tend to focus on planning and skillful thinking in order to beat either real players or bots. They can be either real-time in which the play clock ticks continuously or turn-based where each player has a dedicated turn to finish their action. It is not uncommon to include exploration and resource management.
- Open world style games are usually not on rails, meaning that the player gets to go anywhere and solve problems in the order that they choose. The player is usually allowed to roam freely through a normally massive environment.
- MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer Online game. MMO's are huge open worlds where large numbers of people play at the same time. The focus highly on character development and progression, as well as loot collection and grouping together.
- Adventure games are very heavily story driven. You are usually the main character and are the one who discovers the true plot as the game progresses.
Forward Ports for Elite Dangerous
When you are playing Elite Dangerous you might need to forward some ports in your router. Forwarding ports is a useful trick in gaming because it can really help to make your network connection most stable and intermittently even faster. Routers were not designed to allow incoming network requests and some games can play tremendously better if an incoming connection is forwarded through the router to the game.
Before You Forward a Port
Before you can forward a port you need to know the following things:
- Your router's IP address.
- The IP address of the device that the game will play on: either your computer or your console.
- A list of TCP and UDP ports that need to be forwarded.
How to locate your router's IP Address
The easiest way to find your router's IP address is to run our free Router Detector utility. It's a part of the Network Utilities suite of tools and it's completely free to use.
How To Forward Ports
Quickly get your ports forwarded using Network Utilities. Then when you are done you can just as easily close your ports back down to keep your network as secure as possible. You can also do it manually.
The process for forwarding a port is usually:
- Login to your router.
- Find your routers port forwarding section.
- Put the IP address of your computer or gaming console in the appropriate box in your router.
- Put the TCP and UDP ports for your game in the matching boxes in your router.
- Frequently you have to reboot your router for the changes to take effect.
Ports Required for Elite Dangerous
The incoming connection ports for Elite Dangerous are as follows:
Elite Dangerous - PC
- UDP: 5100
Elite Dangerous - Playstation 4
- TCP: 1935,3478-3480
- UDP: 3074,3478-3479,5100
Elite Dangerous - Xbox One
- TCP: 3074
- UDP: 88,500,3074,3544,4500,5100
Elite Dangerous - Steam
- TCP: 27015-27030,27036-27037
- UDP: 4380,5100,27000-27031,27036
We have guides that are custom tailored for Elite Dangerous that will show you the incoming connection ports.
- Elite Dangerous - PC
- Elite Dangerous - Playstation 4
- Elite Dangerous - Xbox One
- Elite Dangerous - Steam
That's all it takes to open your ports. Want more? Check out our growing list of games and applications.