Your Huawei E5172 router has a pretty basic firewall in place that helps to protect your home network from unwanted Internet access. This firewall blocks incoming connections from the Internet. This is normally a good thing, but sometimes you need some of these connections opened in order to play a game or run an application. The process of opening a port is more frequently called a port forward.
In this guide, we will show you exactly how to port forward the Huawei E5172 router. We will walk you through each of the steps involved.
We will show you how to:
- Setup a static IP address on the exact device you want your ports forwarded to.
- Login to your Huawei E5172 router.
- Find the port forwarding section.
- Click the Security link.
- Click on Port Forwarding.
- Click the Add Item button.
- Create a port forward entry.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Now it is time to login to the Huawei E5172 router. This router has a web interface, so you need to login using a web browser. It does not matter what browser you decide to use, simply pick your favorite. Here are some common web browser options:
- Internet Explorer
Go ahead and open up the web browser and find the address bar. The address bar is normally at the top of the page like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Huawei E5172 IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
If you have changed your router's IP address and don't remember what it is, read this How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
Once you have finished entering the IP address in the address bar click the Enter key. If all goes well, you will see the following screen:
You are in the right place if you see a page similar to the one above.
- The Default Huawei E5172 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Huawei E5172 Router Password is: admin
Enter your username and password, and then click the login or Register button to log in to your Huawei E5172 router.
Huawei Username/Password Trouble?
This is a common place for people to get stuck. Here are a few troubleshooting ideas:
- First, we recommend trying other Huawei passwords. There are not a lot of different password combinations. Here is our list of the Default Huawei Router Passwords.
- If that did not work, it is probably because you changed the password in the past and have forgotten. Try cracking it yourself or use our Find Password App. It automates the long process of trying thousands of different combos. Learn more about it on our Router Password Cracker page.
- Finally, if nothing else works, you may need to consider a reset. A reset like this one erases every single setting you have ever changed. We strongly recommend trying other methods of troubleshooting first. Learn more in our How to Reset a Router guide.
Now you need to find the port forwarding section of the router. To do that we start on the Home/Overview page of the device:
First, click the Security option at the top of the page.
Now, look to the left, choose the option of Port Forwarding in the left sidebar.
Now click the blue Add Item button in the lower right section of the page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
From the Type dropdown box choose Custom.
In the Protocol box select the protocol that you want to forward these ports over.
Enter the port to forward into both the Remote Port Range and the Local Port boxes.
Enter the IP address that you want to forward these ports to into the Local Host box. Note that if you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box instead.
In the Status dropdown box select Enabled.
Make sure to click the Submit button after each entry is completed.
Test if Your Ports are Open
After a port forward is finished it is always a good idea to test the ports in order to see if they forwarded correctly. To do this we recommend using our Open Port Checker which is part of our Network Utilities free trial. Our Open Port Checker is the only one online with Guaranteed Results.
If you enjoyed this guide, please check out the some of our other guides: