Your Linksys E800 router protects your home network by limiting incoming connections from the internet. Sometimes it is necessary to unblock some of those connections like when you want to create a direct connection for gaming, use a specific application, or set up a new device on your network. This process is called forwarding or opening a port. In your Linksys E800 router you many need to open a port, which means assigning a port number or set of port numbers to a specific IP address. This routes the incoming data to the correct device on your network.
Follow these steps to open a port in your Linksys E800 router:
- Set up a static IP address on the computer or device that you are forwarding ports to.
- Login to your Linksys E800 router.
- Find the Port Range Forwarding section in your Linksys E800 router.
- Find the Security tab at the left of the screen and click on it.
- Find the Apps and Gaming tab located near the top of the screen and click on it.
- Find the Port Range Forwarding link at the top middle of the screen and click on it.
- Create a Port Forwarding entry.
Opening ports in a router can be a difficult process the first few times. Don't get discouraged! We will walk you through all the steps to open a port in the Linksys E800 router.
Setup A Static IP Address
If you want to ensure that your ports remain open even after your device reboots, set up a static IP address in the device that you are opening a port for.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
→ Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Login To Your Linksys Router
The Linksys E800 router uses a web interface to display router settings. In order to login to the Linksys E800 router you need to use a web browser.
Open your favorite web browser. If you don't have a favorite or are not sure what this means, open up Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. If you are already in a browser window, go ahead and open up a new tab.
We have simplified this step for you with this link: Login to your E800 Router
Find the address bar in your browser window. This is usually found at the top of the page, like in the image below.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The Linksys E800 router's default IP address is: 192.168.1.1
Once you have finished entering your router's IP address into the address bar, click the enter button on your keyboard. A box similar to the one below should appear.
Enter the username and password for the Linksys E800 in the corresponding boxes. Important Note: If you have changed them in the past, you need to enter in those values.
- The default Linksys E800 Router Username is: blank
- The default Linksys E800 Router Password is: admin
To log in to your Linksys E800 router, enter your username and password, and then click the Login button.
Linksys Username and Password Trouble
If the username and password that you typed in did not work, check out our Default Linksys Router Passwords page for other ideas about possible passwords.
If, after trying the above list of passwords you still can't log in, you may need to reset your router. Learn how to do that by reading our How to Reset a Router guide. After resetting the Linksys E800 router your username and password are reverted back to factory defaults. Router settings may also change when you reset, so make a note of your current router settings before you reset.
Find the Port Forwarding Section
After successfully logging in to your Linksys E800 router you should see the router's home page on your screen. Find the Port Forwarding section of your router.
- Click on the Security tab, which is at the left of the screen.
- Find the Apps and Gaming tab located near the top of the screen and click it.
- Click the Port Range Forwarding link, which is at the top middle of the screen.
You should now be on a page called Port Forwarding.
Create A Port Forward
Opening a port to a specific device may solve problems that you are having on your network. Make sure that it is necessary though, before opening a port, because you are effectively creating a pinhole in the firewall portion of your router that could lead to malicious traffic on your network. The risk is exceedingly low, though, so don't let this warning stop you from making this change if you need it.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Find the Add a new Port Range Forwarding button located near the left of the screen and click on it.
- Put a name for this forward in the Application Name box so that you can remember why you set this forward up. The name does not matter, so pick something that has meaning to you.
- To forward a single port, enter the port number into the Start Port and the End Port boxes. To forward a range of ports, enter the lowest number in the range into the Start Port box. Then enter the highest number in the range into the End Port box.
- Select Both from the Protocol drop-down box.
- Enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to into the Device IP box. It is possible to forward a port to the IP address of your computer or to the IP address of a specific device on your internal network.
- Make sure that the box called Enabled is checked.
- Find the Save link at the left of the screen and click it.
- Remember to click the Apply button at the bottom of the page to apply these changes when you are completely finished.
Test Your Ports To See If They Are Open
Use our Network Utilities software, (which includes a free Open Port Checker tool) to test your network to see if you have forwarded ports in the Linksys E800 router correctly. Open Port Checker is the only online port checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
Check Out These Helpful Guides: