Your Linksys EA9400 router protects your home network by limiting incoming connections from the internet. Sometimes it is necessary to unblock some of those connections like when you want to create a direct connection for gaming, use a specific application, or set up a new device on your network. This process is called forwarding or opening a port. In your Linksys EA9400 router you many need to open a port, which means assigning a port number or set of port numbers to a specific IP address. This routes the incoming data to the correct device on your network.
The following steps will show you how to open ports on the Linksys EA9400 router:
- Set up a static IP address on the computer or device that you are forwarding ports to.
- Go ahead and log in to your Linksys EA9400 router.
- In your Linksys EA9400 router, navigate to the Port Range Forwarding section.
- Click on the Security tab, which is at the left of the screen.
- Click on the Apps and Gaming tab, which is at the top of the screen.
- Find the Port Range Forwarding link located near the top middle of the screen and click it.
- Go ahead and create a Port Forwarding entry.
The process of opening ports in your router may seem like a difficult task. If so, you are not alone! We are here to help walk you through the steps to open a port in the Linksys EA9400 router.
Setup A Static IP Address
If you want to ensure that your ports remain open even after your device reboots, set up a static IP address in the device that you are opening a port for.
Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
→ Download Network Utilities today!
Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
Login To Your Linksys Router
The Linksys EA9400 router uses a web interface to display router settings. In order to login to the Linksys EA9400 router you need to use a web browser.
Open your favorite web browser. If you don't have a favorite or are not sure what this means, open up Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. If you are already in a browser window, go ahead and open up a new tab.
We have simplified this step for you with this link: Login to your EA9400 Router
Find the address bar in your browser window. This is usually found at the top of the page, like in the image below.
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your web browser and type in your router's IP address.
The Linksys EA9400 router's default IP address is: 192.168.1.1
Enter your router's IP address into the address bar of your browser and click the enter button on your keyboard. A box like the one below should appear.
Enter the username and password for your Linksys EA9400 router. Note: If you have changed these numbers in the past, you will need to enter in the those values.
- The default Linksys EA9400 Router Username is: admin
- The default Linksys EA9400 Router Password is: admin
Once you have entered your username and password, remember to click the Login button to login to your Linksys EA9400 router.
Linksys Username and Password Trouble
If the username and password that you typed in did not work, check out our Default Linksys Router Passwords page for other ideas about possible passwords.
If, after trying the above list of passwords you still can't log in, you may need to reset your router. Learn how to do that by reading our How to Reset a Router guide. After resetting the Linksys EA9400 router your username and password are reverted back to factory defaults. Router settings may also change when you reset, so make a note of your current router settings before you reset.
Find the Port Forwarding Section
You should be on your routers home page once you complete logging in. Find the Port Forwarding section on the home page of the Linksys EA9400 router.
- Click the Security tab at the left of the screen.
- Find the Apps and Gaming tab located near the top of the screen and click on it.
- Click on the Port Range Forwarding link at the top middle of the screen.
You should now be on a page that says Port Forwarding.
Create A Port Forward
Forwarding ports in your router creates a path that allows data to get through your network firewall, and this could lead to malicious traffic on your network. So make sure that you must forward a port before actually doing so. However, the risk is very low, so do not let this warning stop you from making this change if you need to.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
- Click the Add a new Port Range Forwarding button, which is at the left of the screen.
- In the Application Name box, type in a name for this forward. This will serve as a reminder to you in the future as to why this forward was set up, so give it a name that makes sense to you.
- To forward a single port, enter the port number into the Start Port and the End Port boxes. To forward a range of ports, enter the lowest number in the range into the Start Port box. Then enter the highest number in the range into the End Port box.
- Select Both from the Protocol drop-down box.
- Find the Device IP box and enter the IP address that you want ports forwarded to. This can be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address for devices on your network that you want to forward ports for.
- Check Enabled.
- Click the Save link, which is at the left of the screen.
- To apply these changes, remember to click the Apply button at the bottom of the page when you are completely finished.
Test If Your Ports Are Open
Finally, I strongly recommend testing to see if you forwarded the Linksys EA9400 ports correctly. To do this you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Open Port Checker is the only online port checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
More Guides To Check Out: