Linksys WRT54GS routers include a very basic firewall that helps protect your home network from unwanted access from the internet. Since this firewall blocks incoming connections you may need open a port through it for certain games and applications. This process of opening a port is frequently called a port forward, since you are forwarding a port from the internet to your home network.
In this guide I will walk you step-by-step through the port forwarding process on the **Linksys WRT54GS ** router. I will show you how to:
- setup a static IP address on the device you plan on forwarding these ports to.
- login to the **Linksys WRT54GS ** router web interface.
- find the port forwarding page in the router's web interface.
- setup a port forward for the online game or program of your choice.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Another highly recommended way of getting a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP Reservation.
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
With DHCP reservations you can manage your devices from your router. This centralizes the management of your network and helps prevent IP address conflicts. Using this method you do not have to log in to your devices separately.
Now we are going to login to your Linksys WRT54GS router. Your router has a web interface, so you will login to it using your web browser. This can be either Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Edge. It usually does not matter which browser you choose to use.
Open up your web browser and find the address bar. It should look something like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Linksys WRT54GS IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
After entering the IP address of your router you can simply press enter. If all goes well you will see the following screen:
You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. If you do not see a box similar to the one above, find out what your router's IP address is by following the directions on our How To Find Your Router's IP Address page.
- The Default Linksys WRT54GS Router Username is: admin
- The Default Linksys WRT54GS Router Password is: password
Enter your username and password, and then click the Login button to log in to your Linksys WRT54GS router.
This is a pretty common place to get stuck. If you find yourself here, don't panic, there are a few things you can try:
- First, check all the different Linksys default combinations. Here is our list of all known Default Linksys Router Passwords.
- Second, try and guess what the password/username was changed to. Use our Find Password App to make this step easier.
- Finally, if you still are stuck after trying both of the above options, it may be time to consider a factory reset. Learn more about this option on the How to Reset a Router page.
Now we need to find the port forwarding section in your router. Here's how you do it. Starting from the first page in your router:
Click the Applications & Gaming link at the top of the page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
You need to name this entry in the Application box. The name does not make any difference in the forward; it's just there so that you can remember later why you setup this forward.
If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into the Start and the End boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the Start box. Then enter the highest number of that range into the End box.
The protocol that you want to forward is selected from the Protocol box.
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the IP Address box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
Verify that you have the Enable checkbox checked.
When you're finished, click Save Settings at the bottom of the screen to save your changes.
Test if Your Ports are Open
Now that you have forwarded ports on the Linksys WRT54GS you should test to see if your ports are forwarded correctly.
To test if your port has been properly forwarded, you can use our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Our Open Port Check tool is the only online port checking tool with Guaranteed Results.
Check out our other guides here. We have a growing list of free gaming, networking, and software guides here at portforward.com.
Our other site setuprouter.com can help you setup a secure home network with your exact router.