In this guide we show you how to correctly forward a port to a device on your home network.
Your Netgear DGN2200 router has a firewall that protects your home network from the ugly of the Internet. A firewall is designed to block connections to and from the Internet with out your permission. To give the firewall permission to allow a port is frequently called a port forward because you are forwarding a port from the Internet directly to a device on your home network.
There are four basic steps involved in forwarding ports:
- Step 1: Setting up a Static IP Address on the device or game console you want these ports to be forwarded to.
- Step 2: Logging into your Netgear DGN2200 router interface.
- Step 3: Find the port forwarding section of your router.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Click on Advanced Setup.
- Click on Port Forwarding / Port Triggering.
- Click the Port Forwarding radio button.
- Click the Add Custom Service button.
- Step 4: Create a port forward by entering the correct data.
These four steps may seem difficult, but we will walk you through each step in order to get your ports forwarded.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you. Download Network Utilities today!
- Another highly recommended way of getting a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP Reservation.
- Or, follow our Static IP Address Setup guides.
With DHCP reservations you can manage your devices from your router. This centralizes the management of your network and helps prevent IP address conflicts. Using this method you do not have to log in to your devices separately.
Time to login to the Netgear DGN2200 router. To do this you need to use a web browser because the Netgear DGN2200 router uses a web interface program to change the settings. It does not matter what web browser you decide to use, simply pick your favorite. Some examples of web browsers are Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, and Firefox.
Open up the web browser and find the address bar. Normally it can be found at the top of the page or screen like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Netgear DGN2200 IP Address is: 192.168.0.1 After you have typed the IP Address in the address bar just press the Enter key on your keyboard. You should see an authentication box like this:
You are almost logged in if you see a box asking for your username and password.
- The Default Netgear DGN2200 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Netgear DGN2200 Router Password is: password
Enter your username and password, and then click the OK button to log in to your Netgear DGN2200 router.
If you are having trouble logging into the Netgear DGN2200 router there are several things you can try:
- The first thing you should try is other default Netgear passwords. Sometimes a router manufacturer gives a new firmware a new password and this can cause a lot of confusion. Here is a list of the Default Netgear Router Passwords.
- If that did not work then we recommend trying to crack the password. We have a Find Password App that automates the process of guessing your password. This is completely safe and only works on your home network, it can not be used remotely.
- Finally, if nothing else works, it might be time to consider a reset. A router reset erases ALL settings you have changed and should only be done if you have exhausted other troubleshooting options. Learn how to reset a router in this How to Reset a Router guide.
It is now time to find the port forwarding section of your router. To do that you need to start on the first page:
First, click the Advanced tab at the top of the page.
The whole look of the page changes. Look in the left sidebar and click the option of Advanced Setup.
Under that, select the new option of Port Forwarding/Port Triggering.
You should now see a page like the one above. Fill in the radio button labeled Port Forwarding.
Then select the Add Custom Service option near the bottom of the page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Enter the name of the program into the Service Name box. It doesn't really matter what you put into this box, but something that will remind you why these ports are being forwarded is be a good idea.
Select the required protocol for these ports from the Service Type dropdown box.
If you are just forwarding a single port number then you can simply enter that same number into both the External Starting Port and the External Ending Port boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports, usually separated by a hyphen, then you need to enter the lowest number of that range into the External Starting Port box and then enter highest number into the External Ending Port box.
Verify that you have the Use the same port range for Internal port checkbox checked.
Enter the IP address to forward these ports to into the Internal IP Address box. If you are forwarding ports so you can run a program on a device other than your computer then you can enter your device's IP address into that box.
When you are finished, click the Apply button.
That's it, you did it.
Test if Your Ports are Open
It is always a good idea to check those forwarded ports to see if the Netgear DGN2200 router did it correctly.
In order to test those forwarded ports we recommend using our Open Port Checker located in our Free trial of our Network Utilities. Our open port checker is the only one online that has Guaranteed Results.
Congratulations on forwarding the ports for the Netgear DGN2200 router. If you enjoyed this guide here are some others you may like: