The Netgear DGN2200 router has a basic firewall that helps protect your home network from the bad of the Internet. Blocking connections is what a firewall does and you need a firewall. However, there are times when you need some of these connections opened. This process of opening a port or connection is typically called a port forward because you are taking a port and forwarding it through your firewall directly to a device on your network.
The four steps involved in forwarding a port are:
- Setup a Static IP Address on the exact device you want to forward these ports to.
- Login to your Netgear DGN2200 router.
- Locate the port forwarding section.
- Create a port forward rule.
We will walk you through each step in the port forwarding process.
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free Static IP Setter will set up a static IP address for you.
- Another way to get a permanent IP address is to set up a DHCP reservation.
- Or, manually create a static ip address with our Static IP Guides.
This step is important because you want a permanent IP address in your device. If you do not set up a permanent IP address in your device, then when you device reboots it may get a new IP address.
To login to the Netgear DGN2200 router you need to use a web browser because this router uses a web interface. It doesn't matter what web browser you use, just pick your favorite. Some examples of web browsers are Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer, and Safari.
Simply open your web browser and find the address bar. It looks something like this:
Above is an example of what a web browser address bar looks like. Find the address bar in your router and type in your router's IP address.
The default Netgear DGN2200 router IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
After you have finished entering the IP Address in the address bar of the web browser, simply press the Enter key on your keyboard. You should be taken to an authentication page like this:
You are in the right place if you see a box asking you for a User name and password.
- The Default Netgear DGN2200 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Netgear DGN2200 Router Password is: password
Go ahead and enter the username and password associated with your Netgear DGN2200 router. Then login to the router's web interface by clicking the OK button.
There are several reasons the username and password above do not work to log you in. Here are three troubleshooting options:
- Try other default Netgear passwords. It's possible a firmware update changed the password. Here is a list of all the a Default Netgear Router Passwords.
- Did you change the password and lost or forgot it? Why not try our Find Password App. It automates the process of trying different password combinations without you having to do it manually.
- As a last resort you can reset the router. A reset erases all personal data including the username and password. If you need to consider this option check out our How to Reset a Router page.
Normally this third step has several steps in it but for this Netgear DGN2200 router you should already be on the correct page:
If you are on the Basic Settings page you are on the right page.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Click the Services link near the left of the page.
Click the Add Custom Service button near the bottom of the page.
Put a name for this forward in the Name box so that you can remember why you set this forward up. The name does not matter so pick something that has meaning to you.
Select the required protocol for these ports from the Type dropdown box.
If you are just forwarding a single port number then you can simply enter that same number into both the Start Port and the Finish Port boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports, usually separated by a hyphen, then you need to enter the lowest number of that range into the Start Port box and then enter highest number into the Finish Port box.
When you are done click the Apply button.
Near the left of the page click the Firewall Rules link.
Click either the Outbound or the Inbound Services Add button.
In the Service dropdown box choose the service you created.
Use the Action dropdown box to choose ALLOW always.
Enter the IP address of the device that you want to forward ports to into the Send to LAN Server box. This can be either the IP address of your computer or the IP address of another device on your network.
From the WAN Users dropdown box choose Any.
Choose Never from the Log dropdown box.
Click the Apply button when you are done.
Your ports should now be open. It is time to test them.
Test if Your Ports are Open
Did this guide help you? We have more guides waiting for you, check them out below and in the left sidebar: