Fastest Netgear FVS318 Router Port Forwarding Instructions
This is the open port guide for the Netgear FVS318 v3. We also have the following related guides:
Pick the guide that most closely matches your router.
The Netgear FVS318 v3 router includes a basic firewall that helps protect your home network from unwanted Internet access. The firewall does this by blocking all connections to and from the Internet with out permission. In order to get permission for additional connections to come through the firewall for a game or program you need to create a port forward entry. This allows certain designated ports through the firewall to a specific computer on your network.
In this guide we will show you how to port forward on the Netgear FVS318 v3 router. These steps include:
- Setting up a Static IP address on the exact device you want these ports forwarded to.
- Logging into the Netgear FVS318 v3 router.
- Finding the port forwarding section.
- Enter the port forwarding information.
We think that forwarding a port should be easy. That's why we created Network Utilities. Our software does everything that you need to forward a port.
When you use Network Utilities you get your port forwarded right now!
It is important to setup a static ip address in the device that you are forwarding a port to. This ensures that your ports will remain open even after your device reboots.
- Recommended - Our free program will setup a static IP address for you.
- → Download Network Utilities today!
- Or follow our Static IP Address guides to setup a static IP address.
After setting up a static ip address on your devices you need to login to your router.
TIP: Write this static IP address down, you need it later in this guide.
It is now time to login to the Netgear FVS318 v3 router. In order to do this you need to open a web browser. This can be Chrome, Firefox, or even Internet Explorer. It normally doesn't matter what browser you decide to you, just pick one you are familiar with.
After you have opened the web browser up, look for the Address bar. This is normally at the top of the page like this:
As you can see from the image above, the address bar has 192.168.0.1 in it. All you need to do is replace what you see in the address bar with the router's IP address. Remember, the router's IP address can also be called the computer's default gateway or the router's GUI address.
By default the Netgear FVS318 v3 IP address is set to: 192.168.0.1
After entering the IP address of your router you can simply press Enter. If all goes well you will see the following screen:
If an authentication box does not appear when you enter the router's IP address, or you get a message saying This site can't be reached, then the IP address you entered was not correct. This is usually because it was changed in the past. To find out what it was changed to, follow the instructions in this How To Find Your Router's IP Address guide.
You should see a box prompting you for your username and password.
- The Default Netgear FVS318 Router Username is: admin
- The Default Netgear FVS318 Router Password is: password
Enter your username and password, and then click the Login or OK button to log in to your Netgear FVS318 v3 router.
This is a very common place to get stuck. If you find yourself here, there are still a few things you can try.
- I always recommend trying other Netgear default usernames and passwords before panicking. A slightly different firmware version could have a different username/password combination or (heaven forbid) our information above is incorrect. Here is a list of all the different Default Netgear Router Passwords.
- If the list of defaults did not work to get you router access, then it is most likely that you or someone has changed the router's username and/or password in the past. To fix this, you can either guess or use our Router Password Cracker. Our software will figure it out for you.
- Finally, if nothing is working, it may be time to consider a factory reset. This is NOT recommended unless you have exhausted all other troubleshooting options. A factory reset erases everything you have ever changed in the history of this router, and more if you have a DSL Internet connection. BEWARE...
Most routers have a third step to find the port forwarding section. This router does not, so we go on to step 4 immediately.
Here are the ports to forward for Xbox Live:
TCP Ports: 3074 UDP Ports: 3074
If you are looking for the ports for a different application you can find it by either:
Near the left of the page click the Add Service link.
Near the center of the page click the Add Custom Service button.
Enter the name of the program into the Name box. It doesn't really matter what you put into this box, but something that will remind you why these ports are being forwarded is be a good idea.
In the Type box select the protocol that you want to forward these ports over.
If you are forwarding a single port, enter that port number into the Start Port and the Finish Port boxes. If you are forwarding a range of ports, enter the lowest number of that range into the Start Port box. Then enter the highest number of that range into the Finish Port box.
Near the left of the page click the Ports link.
Click the Add button.
Choose the service you created from the Service dropdown box.
From the Action dropdown box select ALLOW always.
You need to enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to in the Send to LAN Server box. It's possible for this to be either the IP address of your computer or any other IP address on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
In the WAN Users dropdown box select Any.
From the Log dropdown box choose Never.
When you are finished, click the Apply button.
Your ports should now be open. It is time to test them.
Test if Your Ports are Open
After you have finished the port forwarding process, you need to see if your ports forwarded correctly. To do this we recommend using our Network Utilities tool, which includes a free Open Port Checker. Our Open Port Checker is the only online port checking tool that has Guaranteed Results.
Don't forget you can always use our Port Forwarding Software. With our software you can troubleshoot, diagnose, and fix all your port forwarding issues. Our software makes port forwarding easy.
Don't miss out on our other guides. You can find them here.
Having router issues? Don't know what the most secure encryption is? Check out our website setuprouter.com.